A nice ,feel good story

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

A nice ,feel good story

Post by billryan »

Several years ago, the American Legion Post in Bisbee had to sell the building they were housed in. It was too big and too old and maintenance had become impossible to keep up with. They had been in that building since the 1920s so packing everything up was a big project and many boxes were put into storage at various facilities.
Last year, the Post bought a new building after sharing space with the local VFW for the past few years.
In preparing the new building, all the old boxes were opened and examined.
Inside one was a framed Letter of Accommodation for a woman. Evidently, the governor of Arizona had directed this letter be given to a local woman for saving the life of another woman in a 1977 fire. No one knew the women involved or how the letter ended up in storage. A little detective work by a member revealed that the woman's daughter lived locally and the post contacted her. She was aware her mother had been in a fire but didn't know she had been a hero. It turned out the mother was going to be in town last week, and, to her surprise, she was honored with a short ceremony and presented with the Letter she should have received almost fifty years ago. Why she didn't receive it in 1977 and how it ended up in storage for years is still unsolved.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

billryan wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:15 am
Inside one was a framed Letter of Accommodation for a woman.
Did you mean to say Letter of Commendation?

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I would think so, but the press release calls it a letter of Accommodation and my spell check corrects to that, so I'm not really sure. She did an interview with the local paper, which will be out on Weds. so let's see how they spell it.
Perhaps that's why it was never delivered, if there was a typo in it.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Nice story. There used to be a radio station that only carried good news. Wonder if it still exists. I don’t know why I just thought of this story. My Great grandfather was at one time National Flintlock champion. He could shoot a penny dead center from so far away, most couldn’t see it. He would always turn the penny over though so he wouldn’t be shooting at Lincoln. His dad was only 22 years Old when Lincoln was assassinated. Of course my great grandfather was my mentor as well as was a neighbor of mine on my street who was the national champion during World War II with the 45. Getting back to the story about the fire, it was a nice coincidence the way everything happened. If you think of it send the article in the paper when it comes out. About 40 years ago we were good friends with a lady who as a young girl had survived the great circus fire and was able to crawl out of the tent just in time. The great circus fire happened in Hartford Connecticut July 6, 1944.