AC Bluefish?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
TripleTriple
VP Veteran

Re: AC Bluefish?

Post by TripleTriple »

OTABILL wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:32 pm
It has been my experience that fresh caught bluefish does not have a "fishy" taste (which I abhor).
Agreed. Simply a somewhat stronger (and unique) flavor. To cover that up with tomato, dill, or anything else defeats the purpose. Tartar sauce would be for something coated; I never had or heard of breaded bluefish. I like it baked just as it is, maybe with lemon slices on top at most. If something has a fishy taste, it probably has a fishy smell (like a wet teddy bear), which is not a good thing.

I only tried a couple of places, but they had no blues. I guess they aren't (weren't) running.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Believe it or not, most places up here just don’t serve it. Very few people like it. I guess it is just personal taste. I only like Cod ,Haddock, or Flounder or Pollack or Sea Trout as a second choice. Striped Bass is a pretty big item up here in some restaurants too as well as different varieties of Sea Bass.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

What's the big deal? I always catch the blues in AC.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Somehow, I don’t have to look for them. They find and catch me too. The lure, the glitz, yes even the Amstel Light, even without the shiny hammered stainless steel and white bucktail. The barbs will not pull out either unless a fatal tug is applied. Still being upbeat, but 6 straight losing sessions. Sometimes, I don’t feel like the mighty and strong Bluefish. When beaten down too much, more like the lazy Sea Robin who will eat just about anything.
Attachments
A76523FD-1AC3-4A36-9246-DFFC4EFACEF8.jpeg
A76523FD-1AC3-4A36-9246-DFFC4EFACEF8.jpeg (132.81 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
6C32BC08-792E-4B95-ADA5-ABDC90370832.jpeg
6C32BC08-792E-4B95-ADA5-ABDC90370832.jpeg (116.03 KiB) Viewed 5342 times

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Terrifying razor teeth. If I’m not careful, I’ll be sleeping with the fishes like Luca Brasi. It’s been improving lately. Maybe this thread is subconsciously suggesting that I avoid Harrah’s Cove. Makes sense. I’ve had multiple bankroll shipwrecks there! A ton of chum. I thought coves provided shelter! :down:

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Shelter for the weary. A late night snack for predators. Only one way in and no way out.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:45 am
Good to know OTB. I have eaten many of the little snapper blues over the years, but have always avoided the big blues. I just either released them or gave them away.
. Now that I know to try one, I will dig out my surfcasting rig, Hopkins bucktail lure and head out to bring home the bacon er uh Blue. Should start running any time now. If I am lucky, maybe I will bag a Striper or Seatrout/Weakfish while I am at it. They all swim together just at different depths. The good part is I only have to head down to the end of my street about 1/4 mile. I bet on the grill it might be even better. Guess we will find out. Thanks for the tip.
Let us know your verdict after you have tried one fresh. Haven't had a bluefish in years. None out here in the desert. :lol:

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I bet it would be great for my mid September allergies though. I guess I am permanently spoiled by the smell of fresh salt air and the relaxing sound of the surf breaking at the shore. I also have a thing for being around green ( other than money) and blooming flowers. The brutal winters though are getting tougher and tougher. Lots of good things to be said no matter where one lives in this great Country. I am still hesitant to try the fresh bluefish as I don’t like either fresh Swordfish or even fresh Tuna. But since this gift from the sea and the Big Guy above is just down the street, I will have to try it. I think I will try the grill route. I will make sure to leave out the dark streaks when I cook it. Have to catch one first. If I don't put on the 8 inch or so steel leader first it will never get to shore. Those teeth are razor sharp. I know first hand about that. Double Ouch!

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

:arrow: Waited.....And Waited......... Still no report on taste of a Big Blue. Have your fishing skills failed? Have you failed to realize the anxiety and perplexity that this quandary has left out here?
The suspense is getting to be unbearable.
Please! :P

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Good one. Somehow, I only went twice last season and I either wasn’t in the right spot or something. Now, I will have to wait till late next summer. I just can’t bring myself to order it in a restaurant in season when I can get Cod or Sea Scallops, or Gulf Shrimp.