Kool story from the Cathedral in the Bronx.

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Re: Kool story from the Cathedral in the Bronx.

Post by advantage playe »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:38 am
Back in the 70s and 80s, my at the time dentist and also friend would take me down to a small deli for probably the best sandwiches and pickles I have ever had. He grew up there so knew everyone. Wish I could remember the name. There was one in Queens also we would go to sometimes. Both excellent. Funny, one other thing I remember. We would park out front in a no parking area. They would watch the car for him and he would tip them on the way out
Speaking of Bobby, his good friend Frank, picked up all of Bobby’s medical bills according to my dad. My dad, being in the big bands till I came along, knew all kinds of stuff in the music world that never made the news. Funny how he never lost his interest and playing music, yet switched careers in the early 50s to the avation industry for the next 35 years.
My father drove a cab in the early 1960s . One time he happened to pick up Frank Sinatra , the fare was around 2 bucks , the chairman of the board gave my father a c note and said , keep the change !! A hundred dollars back then is a least a thousand in buying power today !!

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

billryan wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:56 am
One of my friends' Dads had some sort of job where stuff would always "fall off the truck". His garage was full of such stuff and one week, he must have had a hundred cases of Piels in it.
Being the brilliant kids we were, we knew if we grabbed a case or two we would get caught, so we moved all the cases on top to get to the bottom level, took two or three bottles out of each case on the bottom, and then put the full cases back on top of them. I'm not sure why we thought this would be a successful strategy but it wasn't. His dad rounded us up and gave us a choice. Work off our debt or bring our parents by to hear what we did.
Remember the Jimmy Breslin commercial for Piels? "It's a good drinking beer" I think Jimmy would drink rubbing alcohol.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Breslin in Gaelic means troublemaker. He was well named.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:32 pm
Ah yes, Mel Allen. And Miss Rheingold....
Just as an aside I think the Yankees are nine games out of first now, and the Red Sox have I think won 7 straight. Always a dilemma for me. Born in Boston, saw Ted Williams hit one out of the park when I was four, But moved to Connecticut when I was five. For some crazy reason whenever the Yankees and Red Sox play I still root for Boston.
What a difference six weeks made.