Kool story from the Cathedral in the Bronx.

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

Kool story from the Cathedral in the Bronx.

Post by billryan »

In 1961, a young girl wrote to the NY Yankees asking if she could be a batboy. She received a letter back that thanked her for her interest but that let her know that a girl doesn't belong in the dugout. The girl kept the letter and eventually framed it and displayed it. She remained a lifelong Yankee fan.
Fast forward almost sixty years and the now-grown womans daughter decides to send a copy of the original letter back to the Yankees.
This time, the Yankees admit a woman belongs in the dugout and on her 70th birthday she is an honorable Yankee batboy and is even given the honor of throwing out the first pitch. She sat in the Yankee dugout for the game and even brought replacement balls out to the home plate umpire.
Never give up on your dreams. Believe in them and inspire others.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Just a small correction- While it was a gift for her 70th birthday, it didn't happen on it.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I remember that happening in 1961. First I learned of “ The rest of the story “. Good ending. 1961 was a memorable year for baseball I Saw Roger Maris play a couple of times that year when he was close to breaking Babe Ruth’s home run record which he finally did. The season was longer though than when Babe Ruth played so it has always been somewhat controversial. Another one of my big fans back then and a friend of Roger Maris’s was Elston Howard. I am sure the young lady in the story knew every single player in the Yankee lineup in 1961 and every position they played.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

After the 1961 season, Hollywood did a quickie movie designed to cash in on the publicity the M&M boys had generated.
I'm not sure if it was Mickey Mantle's only movie, but his charisma really shone thru, whereas Maris came off pretty stiff.
It's a lousy movie, except it stars Mickey and Roger and features a few other Yankees. It also shows how Florida was in the early 960s.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Saw this on TV last night. I remember as a kid, going to a Yankee game in 1965 and running across 12 lanes of traffic on the Grand Concourse to get Joe Pepitone's autograph. He screamed profanities at me and said my autograph isn't worth getting killed for. Of course he was right. At that time, everyone thought he was a future Hall of Famer.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Anyone who was a baseball fan in the 1960s should remember the "Sign Guy" of Shea Stadium. This guy was a season ticket holder down near the field and he literally had a sign for any occasion. Many were humorous and his variety was breathtaking.
Anyway, it's 1970 or 71 and a bunch of boys from my neighborhood have taken an hour-long ride on the 27 bus to Main Street where it is about a six-block walk to Shea. I'm in sixth or seventh grade. There are maybe a dozen of us but we don't all stick together so when the game ends, I'm with my friend Pete as we exit the stadium and head back towards Main St.
All of a sudden, the Sign Guy walks past us and we start talking to him. We know he occasionally gives away his signs as there is a kid in our school who got one after a 1969 World Series game. We talk for a bit and we get to his car. He asks where we live and we tell him Queens Village. He is going past there so he offers to give us a ride.
My Dad is in Vietnam and my Mom thinks I'm with a dozen friends. If she knew I was only with one guy and had accepted a ride from a stranger, she'd have grounded me for life. The ride was uneventful but just the idea of meeting a baseball celebrity and getting a ride from him was quite the thrill.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

I grew up in the Bronx ,walking distance from the Real ,Yankee stadium ! my father took me and my brother there many times to root the Yankees in. My father would always have a bet on the game. I still miss him and mom alot , hope to see them soon through the DIVINE MERCY of JESUS !!!

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

When folks like us had a good and fun upbringing and were taught right from wrong and respect early on, we will miss our folks for life. When I get to reunite with them, I hope my mom has one of her Great pimento and cheese sandwiches waiting for me. My dad will have an ice cold beer waiting for me. I already know what it will be. Ballantyne ale. That’s the one we grew up with.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

You must remember the phrase , A Ballantyne blast right Olds ??

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

And Miss Rheingold on the subway posters.