Kool story from the Cathedral in the Bronx.

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Re: Kool story from the Cathedral in the Bronx.

Post by advantage playe »

Lots of good songs from Sam Cooke !!

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I just listened to Sam Cooke live on the dick Clark show on YouTube singing You Send Me probably my favorite song by Sam Cooke. I guess the true circumstances surrounding his death and being shot at the young age of 33 by a motel manager may never be known. At any rate his music career and life just like another one of my favorites Bobby Darin ended way too soon.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Another saturday nite by Sam , Dream lover by Bobby !

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Have played Mack The Knife thousands of times I guess. Dream Lover, I used to blast in my convertible AM car radio with the big factory bass speaker especially at or near the beach hoping some girls would notice. By the way it was an older kinda beat up convertible. I left the top down most of the time, so the girls wouldn’t see the homeade patches in the top. It went like a bat outta hell though and had a beautiful black bucket seat interior and console and the big police interceptor 390 in this Galaxie 500 XL. Color was vintage burgendy.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

she had a strange resemblance to a cat named frankinstien ! from, another saturday night from Sam Cooke !

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Hmmmmmmm

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:59 pm
Have played Mack The Knife thousands of times I guess. Dream Lover, I used to blast in my convertible AM car radio with the big factory bass speaker especially at or near the beach hoping some girls would notice. By the way it was an older kinda beat up convertible. I left the top down most of the time, so the girls wouldn’t see the homeade patches in the top. It went like a bat outta hell though and had a beautiful black bucket seat interior and console and the big police interceptor 390 in this Galaxie 500 XL. Color was vintage burgendy.
I once drove 35 miles to pick up a 45 of Bobby's "Somewhere Beyond the Sea" for a lady friend.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:59 pm
I once drove 35 miles to pick up a 45 of Bobby's "Somewhere Beyond the Sea" for a lady friend. Since Bobby Darin was from the Bronx, appropriate to mention in this thread. :)

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Back in the 70s and 80s, my at the time dentist and also friend would take me down to a small deli for probably the best sandwiches and pickles I have ever had. He grew up there so knew everyone. Wish I could remember the name. There was one in Queens also we would go to sometimes. Both excellent. Funny, one other thing I remember. We would park out front in a no parking area. They would watch the car for him and he would tip them on the way out
Speaking of Bobby, his good friend Frank, picked up all of Bobby’s medical bills according to my dad. My dad, being in the big bands till I came along, knew all kinds of stuff in the music world that never made the news. Funny how he never lost his interest and playing music, yet switched careers in the early 50s to the avation industry for the next 35 years.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Funny OTB, I like the record and girls story. I wasn’t old enough to drive yet, but I had a really good friend a girlfriend on my street. We had known each other since I was five. I knew her birthday was coming up so I took the city bus down to New Haven and picked up her then favorite song Down by the Station by the Four preps. I had almost no money but was able to find one on the reject rack where the label was printed a little bit off-center. She didn’t seem to mind. We have stayed friends to this day.