Kool story from the Cathedral in the Bronx.

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Re: Kool story from the Cathedral in the Bronx.

Post by Carcounter »

Speaking of Rheingold, It was the official beer of the Mets back in the 60's. Me and my friends from Queens had a rental house out in the Hamptons for the summers. These knuckleheads would go out to Shea Stadium at 2-3 AM in the morning after a Mets game, pull up to an open door, walk in to a concession stand and take cases of Rheingold for the summer house. Hot dogs and Crackerjack too. Lost touch with all of them, but given the paths they were on, probably gone or in jail now.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I worked for Harry Stevens my freshman and sophomore years at Shea, sometimes in the concession stands, sometimes as a roving vendor. There were zero inventory controls if you worked in a stand.
Being a good Catholic boy, I'd never think about stealing money but I would occasionally help myself to an unauthorized hot dog or two. My friend, Harry, stayed on with them all thru school and then when he turned 18 became a beer vendor. On many occasions, he would show up after a game with a case or two of beer. I lost touch with him during college, but he kept his part-time gig at Shea until he retired as a schoolteacher in the mid 2000s. He was one of the last of the infamous Tier One teachers that made out like bandits in retirement.
I think it was the spunky East River water that gave Rheingold that ferocious after-taste.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

It was nasty, but it was free

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Ah yes, Mel Allen. And Miss Rheingold....my love is Rhinegold, the dry beer.... Schmidts beer was so cheap it was almost free, but I just couldn’t drink it. On the other hand almost all of our local watering holes had Schaefer on tap and that was my favorite at the time. I still have a couple of their foam scrapers. Just as an aside I think the Yankees are nine games out of first now, and the Red Sox have I think won 7 straight. Always a dilemma for me. Born in Boston, saw Ted Williams hit one out of the park when I was four, But moved to Connecticut when I was five. For some crazy reason whenever the Yankees and Red Sox play I still root for Boston.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Forgot to mention one reason I have a dilemma when Boston plays the Yankees is my father-in-law was a marine scout during World War II. He hung out with Ted Williams for a short time when my father-in-law was recuperating from one of the times he was seriously wounded in the war. My father-in-law was a native of the Boston area as well. If I remember in my memory on this part is a little vague Ted Williams was a second lieutenant. My father-in-law was a PFC

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:32 pm
Ah yes, Mel Allen. And Miss Rheingold....my love is Rhinegold, the dry beer.... Schmidts beer was so cheap it was almost free, but I just couldn’t drink it. On the other hand almost all of our local watering holes had Schaefer on tap and that was my favorite at the time. I still have a couple of their foam scrapers. Just as an aside I think the Yankees are nine games out of first now, and the Red Sox have I think won 7 straight. Always a dilemma for me. Born in Boston, saw Ted Williams hit one out of the park when I was four, But moved to Connecticut when I was five. For some crazy reason whenever the Yankees and Red Sox play I still root for Boston.
The beer slogans. What memories. The Dodgers were sponsored by Schaefer. "Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one,”, The Yankees, Ballantine. "Hey get your cold beer, get your Ballentine beer." TheGiants, Knickabocker. "Have a Knick, Feel Refreshed. The Mets, Rheingold. "The beer that made New York Famous." in addition to Rheingold is my beer, the dry beer as you noted Olds. Of course, riding the subway to high school in the early 60s the Miss Rheingold advertisements. What's ironic, is having parties, the cheap beer we bought was Piels at 2 - 3 bucks a case.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I could drink Piels Real Draft. Not that bad at all. I hate to say thise were days and live in the past, but those really were the days! Funny, when I was 18, and couldn’t drink in Ct, my friend would borrow his dad’s brand new beautiful 1965 Pontiac Bonnivle Conv. and we would drive 45 minutes to Rye NY just to have one pony beer at the bar, then drive all the way back. We only spent a dime for the beer, but when we looked at the gas gauge when we got back, we pooled the remainder of our mad money so we could gas up his dads car. It only got 10 miles to the gallon. Then we would wash and detail it for him. He thought we were just crusing the beaches looking for girls to impress. Of course we did that too. Heeeeerr!

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

One of my friends' Dads had some sort of job where stuff would always "fall off the truck". His garage was full of such stuff and one week, he must have had a hundred cases of Piels in it.
Being the brilliant kids we were, we knew if we grabbed a case or two we would get caught, so we moved all the cases on top to get to the bottom level, took two or three bottles out of each case on the bottom, and then put the full cases back on top of them. I'm not sure why we thought this would be a successful strategy but it wasn't. His dad rounded us up and gave us a choice. Work off our debt or bring our parents by to hear what we did.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:32 pm
Good thing we remember the important things , Mantle and Marris hitting homeruns , beer slogans ect. But I cant seem to remember much of what I learned in school except Love of Country and math !

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Don’t know much about history, don’t know much biology, don’t know much about a Science book, Don’t know much about the French I took .......Sam Cooke.