Phone Damage

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
FAA
Video Poker Master

Phone Damage

Post by FAA »

Has anyone experienced severe cell phone damage? Yesterday, liquid seeped into my phone and prevented me from entering its passcode. I was overwrought; it ruined the holiday. First thing today, I entered the Apple store seeking advice. It probably would have been to purchase a new phone. Tech asked what the issue was. I said that I cannot check in and demonstrated. Suddenly, one digit did work. He told me to take off the case. An elaborate box, so I let him do the honors. He dried out the whole face and it suddenly worked again. He also sprayed the plastic case cover, stained with coffee, so I could have perfect vision fully reapplied. I have a separate shield affixed over the actual phone as well. The same thing happened to me a couple years ago with water and was also resolved. I'm definitely taking more precautions.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Buy a bag of rice and when the inside of your phone gets wet, pour the rice into a bowl and then stick your phone deep into the rice, covering your phone. Keep it in the rice for several hours and then try the phone. Make sure your phone is powered off when in the rice.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Or just buy a new iPhone 7 for 200 bucks. At least that's what it cost a year ago

Waiting4RF
VP Veteran

Post by Waiting4RF »

Did you get your $4000 royal and jump in the ocean?

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Hell, no. That's the kind of liquid damage I could tolerate. But I'd be sensible enough to let the bell captain take my bag and stuff the voucher in my shoe on the beach. Luckily, my phone tech had the Midas touch and all I lost was a day of service. Close call, indeed. The popular rice panacea gets a mixed reception online. It is fraught with its own problems. I would have gone for a utilitarian $200 model as we approach the inevitable iPhone 13 fall release. Who can resist lucky 13?

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

I only heard about the rice method and only offered it as a suggestion. I have always managed to keep liquids from getting to any of my cell phones.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

It’s definitely unwanted drama. Techs have bailed me out twice and I’m not about to go triple or nothing. Time to get much more protective of such a necessity.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I always wear a shirt with a pocket and therefore always keep the cell phone in there. I am lucky my sisters throw away iPhone SE still works well I have had it several years. She of course has the 12. I love the size of the se I always wear a shirt with a pocket and therefore always keep the cell phone in there. I am lucky my sisters throw away iPhone SE still works well I have had it several years. She of course has the 12. I love the size of the SE. I know they re-introduce the SE again but it is a bit bigger than mine. I will try and keep this one going as long as I can. I know my brother spilled some thing on his iPhone seven a year or two ago and he got lucky and was able to dry it out with a hairdryer and it worked. He was smart enough not to put the heat setting up too high and melt the circuitboard. Anyway I doubt that would work every time. Just like anything else the best medicine is prevention and not the cure.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I’m done with idiot Siri for the day I’m sure you guys are too tired of reading my garbage with Siri

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

sister's throw away iPhone SE still works well I have had it several years. She of course has the 12. I love the size of the se I always wear a shirt with a pocket; always keep the cell phone in there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retaining the sibling hand me down system is a fun quirk. Nothing above SE fits in a shirt pocket. I must get another jogging waist belt or bring a nylon zipper bag. It's tee shirt season, especially with how much I may be walking in AC. I'd love the newer iPhones had they kept the headphone jack feature. Unfortunately, the air pod business is a gold mine and they hit the mother lode. I'm stubbornly hanging on to the older model. I feel like a Luddite at times, but I refuse to capitulate to their greed.