Has it really come to this?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
pokerforme

Re: Has it really come to this?

Post by pokerforme »

I’m glad we are leaving Afghanistan, but you can’t blame them for everything that is unfolding. It seems the so called army had a few problems. Things like bullets are important. If you were there and saw a armed people like they are you would also flee. No matter your politics this is a huge fiasco. Also giving up our weapons and vehicles puzzles me, usually you destroy rather than arm the bad guys. Also letting go of the air base before evacuations? Plenty of reasons not to be there in the first place and to get out but this is an embarrassment for the USA. We promised these people we would protect them if they cooperated, on the world stage we have lost credibility on a large scale. We look weak and cowardly, don’t think our enemies can’t see it.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

They’re doing post mortems ad infinitum on this fiasco. Shoe horning Western training, techniques, etc. on a tribal society was a poor fit from the outset. It feels like a FUBAR on all levels.

Gronbog

Post by Gronbog »

The American weapons and equipment that the Taliban has "acquired" were abandoned by the Afgan army not the U.S.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Without the proper maintenance, most of the abandoned equipment will be yard art in a few weeks.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

billryan wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:14 pm
To prevent what from happening? Afgans from overthrowing their own government?
I thought we had American civilians there,couldn't we get them out first?

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Carcounter wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:07 am
billryan wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:14 pm
To prevent what from happening? Afgans from overthrowing their own government?
I thought we had American civilians there,couldn't we get them out first?
I have not heard anything about Americans being prevented from leaving. It's a fluid situation and hopefully the Taliban does not try to attack the airport but if they do, I'm sure we have the resources to light them up.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

They are being told to shelter in place. Doesn't sound like they can hail a cab to the airport.

Tablet22331
Forum Rookie

Post by Tablet22331 »

The Afghanistan mission was hopeless from the beginning. The withdrawal is typical of any military pull-out. I am not a military historian, but I don't think there is any such animal as an orderly, pleasant, media-pleasing withdrawal of troops. Think Dunkirk, Vietnam, Chosin Reservoir, what else?

That we are getting out of that he11hole is what counts. It would be nice if it wasn't such a messy withdrawal, but it doesn't always work that way.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

The US has withdrawn for lots of nations. We left Iraq, we left Iran, we left Lebanon. We left France.
What any of this has to do with the Chosin Reservoir? That was a forced march South by an outnumbered US force surrounded by hostile combatants. It was one of our military's finest hours.

pokerforme

Post by pokerforme »

B S. You paint it up all you want this is a fiasco. Might not be Biden’s fault being he has people telling him when to do what from intelligence and the military but it’s his. You guys can’t slant it just because it’s your party