Hurricane Thoughts

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
Lucky Larry
Video Poker Master

Re: Hurricane Thoughts

Post by Lucky Larry »

Tablet,
My apologies to you and all of us Gulf Coasters. I didn't mean to jinx us with a hurricane. I was totally unaware one was brewing up down south. Looks like it might be headed NOLA way. Be careful.

LL

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

It certainly won’t hurt to get the prayers going early for you guys and gals. I will start right now.

Tablet22331
Forum Rookie

Post by Tablet22331 »

Larry, do you realize that Sunday's predicted landfall is 16 years to the day after Katrina's landfall? Bad karma..... I'm going to start sleeping in every year on August 29.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Yeah, I heard that tidbit on the radio. What a bizarre coincidence!

Lucky Larry
Video Poker Master

Post by Lucky Larry »

Yes, I heard it on the radio Friday. The only good things that came out of Katrina was our school district and many others received some really neat from La. And, we had so really awesome people from NOLA move to Houston and we're a better place because of them. Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the world and we are known for a great selection of cuisines but they helped add a lot of extra Cajun spice to our lives.

Prayer with all along Ida's path.

LL

seemoreroyals
VP Veteran

Post by seemoreroyals »

LL, looks like Golden Nugget in Lake Charles is going to escape a direct hit from Ida. Now a strong category 4 with 150 mph sustained winds and gusts up to 185 the area from Baton Rouge to NOLA is in for a lot of catastrophic damage. Best case scenario at this point is that as many people evacuated as possible and the levies hold. This storm is bigger than Katrina. Forecasts are for it to slow down once it makes landfall in a couple of hours. Not good news for Southern La.

Lucky Larry
Video Poker Master

Post by Lucky Larry »

seemoreroyals wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:22 am
LL, looks like Golden Nugget in Lake Charles is going to escape a direct hit from Ida. Now a strong category 4 with 150 mph sustained winds and gusts up to 185 the area from Baton Rouge to NOLA is in for a lot of catastrophic damage. Best case scenario at this point is that as many people evacuated as possible and the levies hold. This storm is bigger than Katrina. Forecasts are for it to slow down once it makes landfall in a couple of hours. Not good news for Southern La.
You guys in Shreveport area are going to possibly get some rain bands as it moves up toward I-20. Be careful.

LL

seemoreroyals
VP Veteran

Post by seemoreroyals »

Anxious moments while we wait an see what type of damage Southern Louisiana has when the sun comes up in a little while. Sure to be widespread damage and power outages but hopefully the levies will continue to hold and the pumps will continue to work and something similar to what happened after Katrina can be averted. It is dry as a bone and calm winds where we live LL which is roughly 2 hours west of the Shreveport area.

Tablet22331
Forum Rookie

Post by Tablet22331 »

We evacuated to Destin FL and returned last night. We lost a few trees and there is a big mess to clean up, but compared to Katrina this was nothing. The biggest difference is the lack of flooding in New Orleans. Katrina flooded our home completely. With Ida, little or no flooding. Some of that is due to the improvements made by the Corps of Engineers, some of it is due to a difference in rainfall patterns and storm forward speeds, and the rest is due to Lady Luck. I know that there are some areas that were hit hard and are hurting, but all in all, it could have been so much worse.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Very glad to hear that. Prayers worked again. We are currently under a tornado watch till 1 AM here in Ct from the remains of IDA and are expecting 6-8 inches of rain which started already. Could have some pretty good wind gusts too. We will get basement flooding from this, but I will be happy if that is all.