Events that are millions if not billions to one

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Events that are millions if not billions to one

Post by olds442jetaway »

Just like in video poker, things that seem almost impossible happen all of the time. Any stories like these feel free to share…….Ever drop a coin and after it bounces around, it comes to rest on its edge?. Happens.
Many years ago, I was trying to shake out a washer from a box. It went flying and landed and seated itself on the lawnmower bolt about 8 feet away waiting for the replacement nut in my other hand.
One more for now. Years ago I was seated at the far end of my local bar. The bartender down the other end popped off the cap of someone’s beer bottle and the cap flew down to my end landing perfectly in the top of my bottle as if to press back down.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Sounds like someone is itching to play the lottery.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Never play unless the Mega ones get into the hundreds of millions. Yet somebody always wins eventually.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

August of 2003.
My car is in the shop so I'm driving a rental and it has a single key. I am in New Jersey for some reason and I stop by a gas station/ convenience store on Route 3 right by the Tunnel back to NY. There are two Sikh's working behind the counter and the store is otherwise empty. As I was also getting gas, I am parked at one of their gas pumps.
I grab some food and go to the counter to pay. The one guy is preparing to make a money drop- into one of those safes that has a cylinder where you turn it until an opening appears and you drop the money. I reach into my shirt pocket to pull out my money, and somehow the car key is also in that pocket. As I yank out the money, I see my key fly out, fly over the counter and land in the hole where the money just got dropped. Incredibly, neither of the two of them see it or hear the sound of the key striking the metal.
I'm in shock and try to explain to them what happened . I'm not sure if their lack of English came into it but they refused to believe my story and got pretty angry, insisting I leave the store. I keep telling them I can't leave because their safe swallowed my key but it goes no where. My phone, and all the rental car info is in my locked car so I have no idea what to do. They keep telling me if I don't leave, they will call 911. I suspect that if they call 911, the cops won't give me a fair hearing so I decide to call them myself.
The 911 dispatcher doesn't seem to grasp what I'm telling her, which is understandable, but dispatches a car. About ten minutes later, a young cop shows up and I tell him my tale of woe. He evidently asks for backup as two more patrol cars show up so now there are four cops standing around listening to my story and none of them believing it. One goes into the store and comes out five minutes later and says they watched the video and he has no idea what I'm talking about. They seem overly suspicious of the fact I'm driving a rental and seem to think I'm trying to pull a scam. Another police car shows up and this time it has a supervisor in it so now there are six cops involved. Meanwhile, I guess the store employees must have called their boss because another man shows up and wants to know why the police are blocking all his gas pumps and doorway. I tell my story to the supervisor with the newcomer standing by. The newcomer agrees to open the safe as long as there are so many police around, and the supervisor tells me if there is no key he will arrest me for filing a false report. He and the new guy go in the store while I sit on the side of the building, guarded by some annoyed cops. They return with my key, but the cop simply doesn't buy my story of it accidently flying out of my pocket, flying eight feet and landing in the safe. Now that I can unlock my car, I give them my license and they run it. He asks if they can search the car and when it comes up empty he tells me I can go. He says he is pretty sure I'm running a scam and he'll be watching me.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Never play unless Mega get into the hundreds of millions. Yet somebody always wins eventually.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Numbers go your way, they have to pay. This is paperwork that I would welcome.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:04 am
Just like in video poker, things that seem almost impossible happen all of the time. Any stories like these feel free to share…….Ever drop a coin and after it bounces around, it comes to rest on its edge?. Happens.
Many years ago, I was trying to shake out a washer from a box. It went flying and landed and seated itself on the lawnmower bolt about 8 feet away waiting for the replacement nut in my other hand.
One more for now. Years ago I was seated at the far end of my local bar. The bartender down the other end popped off the cap of someone’s beer bottle and the cap flew down to my end landing perfectly in the top of my bottle as if to press back down.
Telling you that you had enough to drink for the day !!

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

😂

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I would have believed it BR. Too many things that are hard to believe have happened to me too.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

About 30 years ago I was fishing for snapper blues on the granite jetty down the end of my street. I am usually very careful but that day I saw some big blues coming in And took one step too fast on the slippery green stuff on the jetty. Sure enough down I go in between two big granite blocks down about 5 feet getting gouged up by sharp rocks and barnacles all the way down. Ended up standing upright and not a scratch or drop of water on my new spin casting fishing rod and reel that was really all I cared about as I was going down. Somehow I got out of there myself rinsed off really quickly in the salt water and headed for the car because I could tell I was in a bit of trouble by the blood loss. It was only less than a half mile ride home, but by the time I got there and got out of the car being very careful not to get a mark on my new fishing reel , I realized it looked like I had just put some red car mats in my car they were formally light tan. Anyway ran to the backyard rinsing the salt water off of my still looking like new fishing pole and then attending to my injuries including removing barnacles for the next month or so as they came up. I think after sterilizing things I gave myself a couple of butterfly stitches as I didn’t feel like going to the ER. Worked out OK probably lost a half pint or so of blood. I was very lucky overall but I was most happy there was not a mark on my new fishing outfit

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Seems like I can’t stop thinking of these things. Flash back to 1965. High school gym class. I was playing third base. Warren comes up to bat. ( he went on to play minor league ball with the Yankees. ). Quite the slugger and all around great ball player. Pitcher gets called to the guidance office. Coach tells me to pitch to Warren. Three pitches struck him out. Curve ball, curve ball, sinker. Would never happen again in a million years. My very limited right eye vision and poor fielding kept me from going further with baseball. Warren just stood there on home plate dumbfounded. Coach was in shock too because he knew my limitations. PS…. I am a lefty. So was Warren