Raising the Federal Tax Reporting Limit?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Raising the Federal Tax Reporting Limit?

Post by Tedlark »

There is a bipartisan bill working through Congress aiming to get the Federal Tax reporting threshold raised from its current $1,200.00 up to $5,000.00. Bill sponsors said that the current level was established in 1977 and adjusting for inflation $5,000.00 is a more appropriate number. The fill is backed by gaming and resort associations.

This would not change the requirement that ALL gambling winnings be properly reported.

case
VP Veteran

Post by case »

Seems they have tried this bill a few times before. One of these days....

Columbo
Forum Newbie

Post by Columbo »

It will not work. If the reporting threshold is 5K, then that is what people will self-report on their taxes. People win $1000 all the time and never report it. The feds cannot accept the magnitude of taxation loss this change would create. I am all for it, but it will not happen.

Waiting4RF
VP Veteran

Post by Waiting4RF »

The feds just started tracking electronic accounts of +$600 for Venmo and paypal for the year. I doubt they will allow one time wins of less than $5,000 to be tax free.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Columbo wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:01 am
It will not work. If the reporting threshold is 5K, then that is what people will self-report on their taxes. People win $1000 all the time and never report it. The feds cannot accept the magnitude of taxation loss this change would create. I am all for it, but it will not happen.
What gets me is that tables players can win much, much more without fear of any generated tax paperwork.

I just reported on the article that I read in the LVRJ.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Hand Pay: A Dream Deferred.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

My state would lose a bundle. They will fight and if needed find another way around it. I suspect they are all in the process of eliminating cash period. Younger folks will see that for sure in their lifetime

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I was in a gas station the other day and this guy came to buy a six-pack. He dug into his socks and started pulling out these decrepit-looking $1 bills. He's putting them on the counter as the clerk is thinking he should have stayed in school. I couldn't tell if the odor was from the bills or from his socks but at that moment I could see the need to get rid of cash.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I think I read somewhere that 90% of all currency in circulation as cocaine residue on it

TripleTriple
VP Veteran

Post by TripleTriple »

and the other 10% is newly printed and just came out of the atm machine for the first time...

keep your eyes peeled for silver certificates and more importantly silver coinage. About 7 or 8 years ago I got a few mercury dimes back in change at work. Ended up exchanging for about 15 more some were "good/very good" condition...cashier had no clue