My Worst Stock Trade Ever

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
case
VP Veteran

My Worst Stock Trade Ever

Post by case »

Everyone often mentions their best stock trade but not their worst. We all have winners and losers but it is the winners that stick with us.

However I have one stock that just keeps eating away at me. It is a Canadian energy stock called Surge Energy. I bought it at a time when energy stocks were starting to drop for 0.99 cents and thought I made a good deal. After continuing years of dropping oil prices I finally gave up on it and sold my 2062 shares for a whole 0.19 cents each. I bagged less than 400 dollars.

Of course shortly after I sold it oil went on a run that continues today. I had waited years for oil to start rising and it took my selling out before it would rise. June 8th Surge energy hit 13.37 a share. If I had sold June 8th I would had made 27,569 dollars....instead of 400. I would have made 27 thousand more dollars.
This was just 20 months after I sold.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but still I can't get over that one. Burn.....

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

case wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:29 pm
However I have one stock that just keeps eating away at me.
Hard to pick just one, but on the energy theme, a decade ago I bought coal miner Peabody (BTU). Rode it all the way down to bankruptcy in 2017. Bought the new shares in 2020 for as little as a dollar, and later sold out around 4 for a nice profit, but still a big loss all told.

Recently this year it traded above 32. :ouch: I'm a two-time failure.

wildman49
Video Poker Master

Post by wildman49 »

What got me interested in the market was my first wife was getting given stock by her grandfather in early 1980s. Niagra Mohawk power (NKM) one day if fell 3 bucks from 21 to 18 and I told her she needs to sell since they was working on a nuke plant and it was in trouble. Utiliy stocks did not move much back then. I got her to sell at 16, her sister and brother waited till 6.

My first ever trade was in the early 80s I bought 100 sh of Boeing (BA) sold the next day make $100 I was hooked.
I was then watching a stock called Micron Tech (MU) it goes up day after day I buy 100 @86, I swear to you it was the very top it dropped to 15 and I sat on it for 12 years. It starts making its way up got to 80 I was waiting for 86 to sell, its going down I sell in the 50s it turns on a dime goes over 100 and splits 2 for one.

Now my disaster in late 1999 to 2001 see Yahoo.com (YHOO) its high was 250 I start buying when it breaks 100 was all in in the 80s, it falls to 9 bucks, I sell all at 11. It gets bought out by Time Warner years later in the 20s or 30s. I went bust to this day I still take 3k write off on my taxes every year.

I only day trade or might hold over night small positions, people are getting killed, just like I did by holding and praying it comes back. The Fed is in control, until rates stop going up market is going down. There is a big rally coming soon market over sold and to many are short.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

wildman49 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:03 am
I went bust to this day I still take 3k write off on my taxes every year.
You have to love it. When you owe them, they steal the money directly from your paycheck. When they owe you, they need an installment plan.