The age of entitlement

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
applepear86

Re: The age of entitlement

Post by applepear86 »

I never really care about stuff anymore if it doesn't affect me. My indifference gets worse as time goes on too.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Ditto. My third great laugh from this thread. I find the jacked up 4wheel drive pickup drivers to be the worst. Especially the ones with Dodge Hemi engines. The more stickers on them, the worse they are. I still like the Yosemite Sam license plate with his picture and two six shooters that says back off.
Attachments
IMG_0355.jpeg

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

applepear86 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 3:29 am
I never really care about stuff anymore if it doesn't affect me. My indifference gets worse as time goes on too.
I don't really care.

Sorry, low hanging fruit.

Quisper
Forum Rookie

Post by Quisper »

Tedlark, I could give a flip whether you care or not......

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Quisper wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:08 am
Tedlark, I could give a flip whether you care or not......
Right back atcha babe.....

Pickup driver?

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Now I really have a quandary as to where I fit in. My first new vehicle was a 1973 F100. V8, stick, traction lock. On top of that, I lose a good chunk of change every year at Bizarro. The pic is about 1974 at the family farm in Southwestern Virginia. On top of everything, one field raised tobacco we sold to Lucky Strike every year. The saving grace is back then we had excellent parenting, we were taught manners and respect, and yes to take responsibility for our own actions in life. My dad always said… you make your own bed and you have to sleep in it. Now what happened to all of that stuff!!! Unfortunately, I already know the answer.
Attachments
IMG_3944.jpeg

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Parenting and education system worked together to create this entitlement attitude.
Coddle them womb to K-1. Expect the teachers to recognize how precious their creation is and pass it on.
We have 4 generations of experimenting with this formula and we will reap what has been sown.
And when it fails, the mush minded progressive liberals will blame it on tight fisted tough minded conservatives. Same copout they got away with for their wasted 8 trillion pissed away on the great society and war on poverty programs which actually created the situation we have today

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Absolutely! Don’t I know first hand. My Mrs retired 5 years ago after teaching 30 some years Mostly first grade, but several others too as well as reading. My sister recently retired after teaching nursing at the clinical level many years. She left partly because of the lack of work and study ethic by students over the last 5-10 years. Our family has many teachers but now most all are retired. The things the administration and board of Ed’s are doing is beyond what one could even imagine. All of course having to do with that way beyond left slant.

Quisper
Forum Rookie

Post by Quisper »

Olds. I grew up on a family farm in western NC. We raised various crops and kept some feeder cattle, but most of the income came from the tobacco allotment.
I always tell people that they do not know what hard work is until they have harvested tobacco. It had to be done by hand, snapping the leaves off and carrying a heavy bundle to the cart. (Heavy for a child --- I was in the field starting at 6 years old.)
The cart went to the wagon, pulled by my grandfather's antique John Deere tractor. No matter how hard we tried to kill that tractor, it kept on running for many years. Back then, parts were cheap. Today, John Deere parts (and service) are outrageously expensive.
The thing about tobacco work, as you probably know, is that snapping the leaves off the stalks gave you nicotine rash and burn. Back then no one knew how harmful it was. Tobacco, soybeans, and hay were the three most-hated crops for a kid because the work was so hard. Back-breaking. Now most family farms are gone, and the large corporate farms that have taken their place are fully mechanized so no one knows what hard farm work really is. Try putting hay up in the barn when it's 90 degrees outside and over 100 in that loft.
My dad always paid his bills with money stamped, "Tobacco Paid You."
We grew up from small kids having the phrase burned into our minds: "Do it right, grow Premium Bright!" RJ Reynolds bought most of the tobacco from the warehouse we used, but I know there were buyers from other tobacco companies too.
When I was a teenager if anyone asked me if I was going to be a third generation family farmer, I would say, "He11 No!" Today, I am much more polite. I would just say, "F#&k no!"

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Yep. I enjoyed reading that very much. Topping the tobacco and dealing with the worms was no fun either. Of everything, getting it up into the loft of the barn was the hardest part at who knows 130 degrees or so. I guess I had it easy. My summers were working on the farm from age 7. The rest of the year was up in Ct with my parents. Seems like digging the drywall at age 9 and hitting clay up here wasn’t fun either. We still have the 1960 Ford tractor. I remember when my Great uncle retired the old one and got the Ford. That was a really big deal back then. I was 12.