ULTIMATE X POKER BONUS STREAK

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
superbri
Forum Newbie

ULTIMATE X POKER BONUS STREAK

Post by superbri »

When you play the 5 hand version of Jacks or Better in ULTIMATE X POKER BONUS STREAK, do you play it the same way as you would do regular 5 hand version of Jacks or Better

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

No, I don't. You concentrate a bit more on starting and enhancing streaks depending upon what your recent outcomes have been. The strategy is also different from how one would play regular Ultimate X if that is what you meant.

The Wizard of Odds provides a strategy for 10-hand 8-6 Ultimate X Poker Bonus Streak Jacks or Better here:

https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-po ... or-better/

It is not optimal and does not consider what your current streaks are. It is very close but not even the best you can do by using a single strategy ignoring the current status of the various streaks for that pay schedule. Another poster provided him a better strategy than his method of calculating allowed, but he chose not to use it. To be fair, the better strategy was only 0.0018% or 0.0026% better in EV, depending on whether one chose basic strategy or a strategy that involved penalty cards.

And it probably goes without saying, but none of these strategies will be totally compatible with 5-play even if you have an 8-6 pay schedule. On the videopoker.com website, the 5-play has both a different pay schedule and a different set of streaks that are awarded for the various hands, so the strategy is different.

For the 5-play game on this website, there are 8,568 different sets of streaks that can appear. So are you ready for some serious memorizing? The "good" news is that there is some duplication in that the same strategy can be used for some different categories of streaks. By my calculation, there are "only" 4,363 distinct possibilities* (and some of those may be close enough that there are virtually no real differences in card selection necessary). So, it should be easy, right? ;) Oh, and I should say that I do not believe that those 4363 strategies are widely available.

*E.g., if you have any 4 streaks and the 5th streak is a couple 12x's, that set of 5 hands would require the same strategy if you have the same 4 streaks and the 5th streak is composed of three or four 12x's.

If all the hands have streaks of either multiple 12x's or have a current multiplier of 10x, you can even use absolutely vanilla regular Jacks or Better strategy for the given pay schedule and that will also be optimal for that hand of Bonus Streak.

I understand that a Dr. Gary Koehler has solved the 3-play. And I presume you can experiment to try and see which hands work best in given situations. I imagine that will take more time than you have available. There would be 560 sets of streaks for the game on this website, with 361 of them having the potential to be distinct from one another.

I'm guessing that most who play Bonus Streak will use the same strategy, regardless of what streaks are on the screen, in holding cards except for some borderline cases when you might want to try harder for a straight or flush to try for lots of 12x's on a current streak. Optimal strategy is probably out of reach for 99% (or more) of those who want to play it. (I'd venture to say that anyone who decided not to finish reading this post might not have the attention to detail necessary for approaching near-optimal Bonus Streak play!!) :)

Best of luck.

Tex as
Forum Newbie

Post by Tex as »

Very good strategy/information.

Poker-Face-21
Forum Newbie

Post by Poker-Face-21 »

Love "The WIzard of Odds" and love Bonus Streak!

Guest547426
Forum Newbie

Post by Guest547426 »

Ive heard to hold 3 flush cards for example playing TDB but i would assume when there isn’t any face cards?