Is it still called "Super Triple Play" ...

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
dinghy
Video Poker Master

Re: Is it still called "Super Triple Play" ...

Post by dinghy »

Webman wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:47 am
You have to go back to the early 1600's when the King, an avid Video Poker player, decided he wanted higher payouts than the current games.
Honestly it sounds like the vp was better in the early 1600's, but I wouldn't want to live before the invention of paragraphs. :lol:
hophoofer wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:50 pm
On that spin version, I hit the most boring jackpot today, no spin. And the worst part is I haven't studied this game before. The strategy may be very different from 9/6 TDB Triple Play.

Any idea of the average payback of the wheel spin?
Nice hit nevertheless. :up:

The pay table as shown is worth 122%, but needs to be more like 138 (for a 98% overall return) because the bet is 7 coins per line.

My math says average wheel spin should be about 335-340, and I seem to be in agreement with alpax who previously analyzed the game. Typical or median spin would be less than that because of the big jackpot potential. Is that consistent with your results? From my limited observations of other players, their spins have been reliably disappointing.

Strategy is gonna change because of the 35 flush and 25 straight. Inside straights move up in value. 3-card flushes show up near the bottom of the chart.

Player422738
VP Veteran

Post by Player422738 »

@dinghy, thank you.

I haven't played this Jackpot version too much since strategy is different from the 6 coin version, but the spins are lame for sure. I have hit spins couple of times, but it's in 200-300 range.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

hophoofer wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:59 am
I have hit spins couple of times, but it's in 200-300 range.
Thanks. The 7-coin per line bet isn't really sufficient to support huge bonus payouts. They would need to go full degen and make it a 10-coin game.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Webman wrote:
The true story behind the game is a little more interesting. You have to go back to the early 1600's when the King, an avid Video Poker player, decided he wanted higher payouts than the current games. He played Triple Play Draw Poker almost exclusively, so his men added higher payouts for the best hands, which he immediately dubbed Super Triple Play and made it the official game of the kingdom. The game was a huge success but they had not yet added the higher payouts to five and ten play video poker that were also popular in the Southern parts of the kingdom. When a servant brought this to the King's attention, with the idea of Super Five Play and Super Ten play being released, the King became angry. Super Triple Play was already the official game of the kingdom. Why would they release Super Five and Super Ten, which could be interpreted by some as greater than the official game? The servant was promptly sent to the gallows and Super Five and Super Ten were never to be spoken of again. Problems arose in the Southern and Eastern parts, as demand began to grow for 5 and 10 play versions of this immensely popular game. After two years, with the kingdom on the verge of civil war, one of the King's advisors boldly approached him with a suggestion. "People love your game, Highness. If it pleases the King, perhaps we could allow people to play Super Triple Play, and after their three hands are completed the game could- you know- keep going and play another 2 or 7 hands. If the player wanted to. And if it pleases the King. Super Triple Play- just continuing on- a bit- more. If it pleases the King." The King pondered this idea. "Super Triple Play, and even more? That's a great idea!" said the King. The man was promptly sent to the gallows and the following day the King announced to his people that Super Triple Play was such a good game, he wanted people to be able to experience it even more by allowing the game to continue for another 2 or 7 hands. And thus, civil war was averted, and Super Triple Play became available with 3, 5 or 10 hands throughout the entire kingdom.
Why am I thinking HBO's "Game of Thrones" right about now???

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Webman wrote:
The man was promptly sent to the gallows and the following day the King announced to his people that Super Triple Play was such a good game, he wanted people to be able to experience it even more by allowing the game to continue for another 2 or 7 hands. And thus, civil war was averted, and Super Triple Play became available with 3, 5 or 10 hands throughout the entire kingdom.
Evidently, no one has since valued valor enough over discretion, not to mention gallows avoidance, to suggest the possible addition of 2 or 7 hands to the Super Triple Play Jackpots games? And the king hasn't drawn that parallel himself? Five or ten hands increasing the chance at wheel spins might even out the experience some in that all-or-nothing game. It certainly could make for more interesting contests as well.

Oh, wait, I have to answer my door. There appear to be some men mounted on horseback in armor assembled in my driveway ...

Player422738
VP Veteran

Post by Player422738 »

dinghy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:13 am
hophoofer wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:59 am
I have hit spins couple of times, but it's in 200-300 range.
Thanks. The 7-coin per line bet isn't really sufficient to support huge bonus payouts. They would need to go full degen and make it a 10-coin game.
The 6 coin version 9/6 TDB pays 98.56%, a lot better than 98.15% betting 5. Maybe I will just play the 6 coin version unless I can get any detail on the wheel spin payout.

Not sure who can get this info though...

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

New2vp wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:47 am
Webman wrote:
The man was promptly sent to the gallows and the following day the King announced to his people that Super Triple Play was such a good game, he wanted people to be able to experience it even more by allowing the game to continue for another 2 or 7 hands. And thus, civil war was averted, and Super Triple Play became available with 3, 5 or 10 hands throughout the entire kingdom.
Evidently, no one has since valued valor enough over discretion, not to mention gallows avoidance, to suggest the possible addition of 2 or 7 hands to the Super Triple Play Jackpots games? And the king hasn't drawn that parallel himself? Five or ten hands increasing the chance at wheel spins might even out the experience some in that all-or-nothing game. It certainly could make for more interesting contests as well.

Oh, wait, I have to answer my door. There appear to be some men mounted on horseback in armor assembled in my driveway ...
Join us.

Join us - or die.....

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

hophoofer wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:13 am
The 6 coin version 9/6 TDB pays 98.56%, a lot better than 98.15% betting 5. Maybe I will just play the 6 coin version unless I can get any detail on the wheel spin payout.

Not sure who can get this info though...
7-coin Super Triple Play Jackpots for 9-6 TDB that pays 10/7/5 at full coin has a slightly higher EV than 6-coin Super Triple Play 9-6 TDB, meaning that the 7th coin is plus-EV by a tiny bit. Everyone would have to evaluate the additional risk for themselves. I don't have any inside information, but reverse engineering from the published EVs would produce an average wheel value of around 342.36 coins. Your increase in quads from employing optimal strategy rather than simply ignoring the wheel will increase your quad expectation less than 1%. You could expect 0.87% more quads. Optimal strategy using this figure will have you sometimes holding suited 43, 42, or 32, mostly due to the huge payout on small quads with kickers; or, holding a singleton 4, 3, or even 2 once in a while rather than tossing all 5 cards. Of course, this would not occur on games other than TDB, certainly not with the same frequency.

My assumption is that the EVs given were calculated at the reset value of the giant 20,000 jackpot. Oh, and based on the EVs of other games, you cannot infer that the wheel EV is constant between games. It appears to be different even for lower paying TDB games.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing you post that 20,000-coin jackpot!

Player422738
VP Veteran

Post by Player422738 »

@New2vp, thank you!

Since the payout of the 20K credits is unknown, one way to look at it is losing 20K credits first before hitting it. This can be a super heaven or hell game.

TripleTriple
VP Veteran

Post by TripleTriple »

I have little familiarity with STP and this may be trivial, but please explain how the AWAK payout is designated "super" since it's the same as regular TDB.

In my kingdom, I would up that payout from 800 to 1000. And, I guess it would behoove me to do the same for the royal, since anything else would be blasphemy...drop it to 9/6 at 6 coin = 100.09 game.