Ended up a fun day

Did you hit any jackpots? Did you get a great comp? We all want to know!
TripleTriple
VP Veteran

Re: Ended up a fun day

Post by TripleTriple »

onemoretry wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 6:52 am
TripleTriple wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:34 pm
And THAT my friends is why I increase my denomination when I hit something significant.
My worry about that approach is the "win small, lose big" result. There is absolutely no assurance that one significant hit will lead to another.
Of course not. But I would increase until I lose half of the winnings back, then back down to original denom. I've done that many times in the last two years and had mixed results, but never any regrets.

It's just pressing my bet. Chances are I will lose it all back and twice as quickly at that, but at least I give myself a some shots at capitalizing on those rare streaks. I would never use an approach like this for JOB, but on variants with nice secondary and tertiary jackpots, it's a good way to have a good day.

I guess my style is more "bring out the big guns" than grind it out. I mean, I only have like 10 more years. And +200 doesn't move the meter.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I hit a $2000 royal within a few minutes of sitting down at a 50c machine. Over the next hour and a half, however, I lost half of it back.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gambler Groundhog Day. I've read and heard versions of this story so many times. And that is why I ask for a check and find another machine, only to order a drink. It's just asking too much of the fates. You already had such a memorable day. Why jeopardize the exhilaration? A +$200 day is another conversation entirely. It doesn't move anyone's meter. It's easily forgotten, but I will take the win and take my chances next time.

TripleTriple
VP Veteran

Post by TripleTriple »

A $2000 day is nice, but neither memorable or exhilarating. Unless....

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

It buys another handful of trips or pays some bills, even after taxes. Money always finds a purpose.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

FAA wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:45 am
And that is why I ask for a check and find another machine, only to order a drink. It's just asking too much of the fates. You already had such a memorable day. Why jeopardize the exhilaration?
There are certainly different playing philosophies here. You prefer to not "tempt fate" and pack it in after a significant hit. Others take it as a sign that more might be coming, and continue to play on, but at higher denomination, hoping for a really big score.

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I continue to plod along, hoping, of course, for another big one (but not really expecting it), secure in the knowledge that the big one in the bag virtually ensures that the session will not be a bankroll disaster.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

You're playing right into our oppressor's hands! Why settle for half the loaf? I'm coming home with the full win, just for the satisfaction. The tables will turn, you will get burned, CET will earn. Rinse and repeat.

TripleTriple
VP Veteran

Post by TripleTriple »

FAA wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:48 pm
You're playing right into our oppressor's hands! Why settle for half the loaf? I'm coming home with the full win, just for the satisfaction. The tables will turn, you will get burned, CET will earn. Rinse and repeat.
Why settle for the full loaf, when you can have 2, 3 or 5 loaves? Please don't take the analogy too literal. But consider the ideal scenario the full loaf if you will, then looking at it from that perspective you are only getting crumbs or possibly the crust slice. I want the whole Stroehmann truck.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

That’s a fine encapsulation. I will happily enjoy my slice and you want to hijack the truck.