Got it all back plus interest

Did you hit any jackpots? Did you get a great comp? We all want to know!
Zom42
Forum Newbie

Got it all back plus interest

Post by Zom42 »

This is my father's story. My parent's used to drive from their home in Canada to Reno a couple times a year. Back in the 90's the pay tables were better.

One day, he hits a royal on a progressive machine and had the tax withheld even though he is Canadian.

We did some research and found that he could file an "Alien Non-Resident" tax return and since he had no other US earnings, he would get it all back. The return was filed and then he waited. Eventually, he got a letter back saying that the refund was being denied but it was not really clear why. They did mention that he could appeal, and so he did.

After writing a very convincing appeal letter, he ended up getting the refund in the mail, and because it took the US Government so long to reply, they added interest to the refund.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

By law they have to include interest. Glad it worked out just the same.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

Zom42 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:48 am
... and had the tax withheld even though he is Canadian.
Yes, that's what they do- and the withholding is 30%. We have each had to file a 1040NR return for almost each of the past 10-12 years, to get it back. We've always received a full refund, and there have been times when it actually came rather quickly. Not this year, though. We filed in late January, and haven't even received an acknowledgement that they've been received. And, trying to find out if they have actually received them is virtually impossible. Ugh!

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

onemoretry wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:23 pm
Zom42 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:48 am
... and had the tax withheld even though he is Canadian.
Yes, that's what they do- and the withholding is 30%. We have each had to file a 1040NR return for almost each of the past 10-12 years, to get it back. We've always received a full refund, and there have been times when it actually came rather quickly. Not this year, though. We filed in late January, and haven't even received an acknowledgement that they've been received. And, trying to find out if they have actually received them is virtually impossible. Ugh!
I have a friend who filed early like you and still hasn't received their refund. Nor acknowledgement their return (1040) was received. He is a non-gambler, US citizen. He is going to his congressman for help. As a Canadian citizen you don't have that option. However, you may want to check with the Canadian embassy in DC. They may be able to help.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

OTABILL wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:39 pm
I have a friend who filed early like you and still hasn't received their refund.
Holy cow! We actually received our refund cheques in today's mail. The IRS did say somewhere to expect it to take six months to process a paper return, and that is just about what it did take.

wildman49
Video Poker Master

Post by wildman49 »

got my 5k plus refund in bank account yesterday, sent it out last week of Feb. got $64 in interest