How many different video poker games do you play?

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Re: How many different video poker games do you play?

Post by Carcounter »

Super Double Bonus, a 99.69% game, 9/6 JOB multi strikes 99.75% and straight 9/6 JOB 99.54%. I will occasionally play a Bonus Deuces game on the Game Kings at Borgata that is a bit under 99%.

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

FloridaPhil wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:33 am
I personally believe games like Ultimate X and Super Times Play have been a major contributor to the increase in player losses that has been reported over the last ten years. Multiplier games increase coin-in. The variance is significantly higher than the same traditional single line game. Many times the odds are worse as well. Some players love these games and they pay a price to play them.

I believe if you stick with traditional single line video poker games, your money will last longer and you will do better in the long run. There are exceptions like finding a left over multiplier, but most multiplier games I see are big time losers.

It is possible to have a bad day on any game at any time. Jacks or Better is easiest on your wallet. I hardly ever play it because I find it boring. Double double bonus is a reverse ATM. Most experts consider it unbeatable. If you can play 10/6, the cost will be less. Bonus Poker is a compromise. It plays like Jacks or Better with better incentives. Bonus Poker often has better odds in smaller denominations.

I have been playing Deuces Wild for over ten years. From my experience as a recreational player, it offers the most bang for your buck, especially in today's negative game world. Others may have different opinions.

Recreational players like me know they are going to pay to play, so we choose our games based on entertainment value. No matter what game I choose to play, it's not entertaining if I go home with my wallet consistently empty.
Ultimate X for sure. Just the fact that 99.99% of the regular players aren't even coming close to playing optimal strategy on that game is going to be a huge factor. There aren't any strategy changes for STP or DSTP, just higher variance. But also slightly higher return than the same pay table without the feature.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

FloridaPhil wrote:
Double double bonus is a reverse ATM. Most experts consider it unbeatable. If you can play 10/6, the cost will be less.
My understanding is that 10/6 double double bonus is a very slightly positive game. Which "experts" are claiming that it's unbeatable?

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

onemoretry wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:08 am
FloridaPhil wrote:
Double double bonus is a reverse ATM. Most experts consider it unbeatable. If you can play 10/6, the cost will be less.
My understanding is that 10/6 double double bonus is a very slightly positive game. Which "experts" are claiming that it's unbeatable?
I believe Bob Dancer stated that more than once in the past. He may have changed his opinion. Ask him.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

I find it extremely difficult to believe that a game that is positive (albeit slightly so), would be deemed "unbeatable" by Bob Dancer.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

onemoretry wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:34 am
I find it extremely difficult to believe that a game that is positive (albeit slightly so), would be deemed "unbeatable" by Bob Dancer.
It's been a long time. I believe what he said was many pros don't play DDB because they do not consider it beatable. Maybe he does now? Ask him and see what he says.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

OMT, I understand that it was actually a myth that Ponce de Leon was looking for the Fountain of Youth in Florida. Maybe he was looking for the Fountain of Disinformation?

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

Vman96 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:54 pm
Jstark wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:23 pm
Lately either STP or DSTP BP. Tonights entry.

20200227_233801.jpg
Still waiting on dealt Aces since I've recorded all quads over 6 years ago. Only dealt ones left, Aces and 9s. The last session I had, met up with pokerpokerpoker, HE got dealt Aces on TDB on 50c single line, but he couldn't draw the kicker. Doh.

Yeah, that sucked. It was TTB though, same difference, same $1600 swing. Next time, you hit the button.

That session I played:

8/5 Bonus.
8/6 Bonus Deluxe Royal Deal
8/6 Bonus Deluxe Atomic Fever
9/6 Double Double Royal Deal
9/6 Triple Double Royal Deal
9/6 Triple Triple Bonus

A mix of .25/.50/$1 - net session result +$100. 3 dealt quads in 2 hours of play, 2 smuggled Space Dust IPAs. LOL.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

New2vp wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:36 pm
OMT, I understand that it was actually a myth that Ponce de Leon was looking for the Fountain of Youth in Florida. Maybe he was looking for the Fountain of Disinformation?
If you really want an answer to this question, go to the man and ask him yourself. Ask him this "Did he ever say most professionals consider Double Double Bonus unbeatable?". Any game is beatable with the right comps. If he answers, which I don't believe he will, come back and tell us what he says. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. If I'm right, say so.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

No reason to deflect to Bob. OMT was asking you about your rationale for what YOU posted. Anyone with a modicum of mathematical knowledge would understand that without comps a game with an EV of 100.0670% may just have too small a player edge to be worth anyone's time, even though there would be an expectation of a profit. Please don't misread "expectation" as "guarantee." I don't need to ask or wonder what Bob might have said at any time in the past to infer what the most logical context was.

I understand that once in a while you are not wrong when discussing numbers and sometimes even right about some players' psychology, but that is far from suggesting that you are a credible source for accurate information relating to playing advice, game selection, or choice of denomination.

OMT was calling you out on what you said, not what Dancer said. If you don't want to be questioned, you may want to stick to stories, continue your own education, avoid trying to give advice, and remember not to continuously give us your interpretation of what Dancer or other experts say or think. We can all read others' advice for ourselves. I don't care whether you admit whether you are wrong or not. I can tell that for myself as well.