Videopoker.com Players Unite on Facebook

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Re: Videopoker.com Players Unite on Facebook

Post by OTABILL »

If you think Facebook is the social media used by kids you are in the dark ages. Most have abandoned Facebook which they view as for old folks. In fact, for teens it doesn't rank in the top 5 and is only 4th for those 19 -25. Meanwhile most everybody I know is on Facebook. It's how I keep in touch with friends and relatives, have reconnected with some, and have made new friends.

One poignant example, I used Facebook to let them know about my wife's passing and got tremendous support from family and friends as a result. While I should have done a formal obituary, from my perspective, the post I made was much more personable and meaningful and got disseminated more rapidly and widely. Yes, there are risks and annoyances. For the most part, my overall experience has been positive.

Concerning, millennial/gen-z social media usage, see https://www.ypulse.com/article/2020/05/ ... forms-now/

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Guess I will just stay in the dark ages. To be honest, I prefer the non tech 50’s when life was simple. One can waste their entire day and evening on line of various sorts. I know and do it myself. Information overload. I was quite happy with my 65 Olds 442 with its big booming base radio, no cell phone meaning no leash as I call the cell phone. I probably would miss the microwave, but the toaster oven got lots of use. Black and white tv was fine for me. No cable bill either. My cell phone bill and cable bill together cost double what my original mortgage was.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:05 pm
Guess I will just stay in the dark ages. To be honest, I prefer the non tech 50’s when life was simple. One can waste their entire day and evening on line of various sorts. I know and do it myself. Information overload. I was quite happy with my 65 Olds 442 with its big booming base radio, no cell phone meaning no leash as I call the cell phone. I probably would miss the microwave, but the toaster oven got lots of use. Black and white tv was fine for me. No cable bill either. My cell phone bill and cable bill together cost double what my original mortgage was.
Olds, it was a lot simpler and less stressful in the 1950s. Couldn't agree more. Social Media is not for everyone and that's fine. My dark ages reference was regarding social media preferences among the younger crowd. Other than Facebook, and occasionally looking for a how to do video, or music video on Utube, I am not on twitter, instagram, snap chat, tik tok or any other platform.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Now that is interesting. I didn’t even see your Dark Ages reference. I added it because it was used a lot growing up. I bet it is not even taught in history class anymore. The way this world is going, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the youth would think it meant something racist.

DrKen
Forum Regular

Post by DrKen »

Another non-Facebook person here. Have enough sites being data mined now.

DougJ

Post by DougJ »

I don't understand how "uniting" on Facebook would be any different or enhanced than by just communicating on this forum. So, wondering what is the motivation for creating the facebook group.

Regardless, NO social media . . . no facebook, no twitter, no instagram, nothing. If I want to talk to someone, I pick up the phone or email or WRITE A LETTER. Ha ha . . . my daughter who lives in Chicago is a millennial and hasn't bought a postage stamp in years.
Meanwhile, I also watch only free TV channels, no cable, no paid TV subscriptions (i.e. Netflix).
My phone bill is $35/month, which includes using that phone as an internet hot spot, as I don't have an internet connection in our house (i.e. no Cox).