What would you do?

Discuss video poker programs for the home user
mendon

What would you do?

Post by mendon »

Playing todays contest 50 play  dealt three 4's and an Ace... do you keep just the 4's or do you keep the ace with them? I did only keep the 4's.........ended with 2000 and 4000    did I do the right thing? When I get dealt these hands I'm not sure

BOOPSAHOY
Video Poker Master

Post by BOOPSAHOY »

mendon what game were you playing? DDB?  Theres a different correct strategy for each game.Also your strategy in a contest may be different. You may want to go for the bigger payouts. I usually follow correct strategy when I play but maybe thats why Ive never won.

jackwells
Forum Regular

Post by jackwells »

Mendon: I have wondered the same thing...if you get delt 3 Aces with a kicker...do you keep the kicker and hope to get the 4th Ace?  Need to brush up on my strategy...

EDC1977
Video Poker Master

Post by EDC1977 »

TDB sez hold the kicker, otherwise hold the A's. I hold the A's only anyways since the quad is what I'm trying for first.

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

TDB sez hold the kicker, otherwise hold the A's. I hold the A's only anyways since the quad is what I'm trying for first.
I am with you, ED. I like to have two draws at that fourth Ace, even in TDB, rather than just one. Of course, I would like to 'lock-in' that kicker, but drawing only one card to make the quad is tough. Worse case - if I connect with the fourth Ace, but no kicker, the 800 is a nice payout. My play lately has seen a lot of that - many good, premium quads, but not many kickers.  

jackwells
Forum Regular

Post by jackwells »

Thanks for the help guys!!

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

I am a little surprised that folks would, in triple double bonus poker, toss the kicker and draw to the three aces.  Granted, you will hit quad aces twice as often, but four aces with kicker pays five times as much.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

I am a little surprised that folks would, in triple double bonus poker, toss the kicker and draw to the three aces.  Granted, you will hit quad aces twice as often, but four aces with kicker pays five times as much.

That's why it's wrong to throw it away in TDB, but correct in DDB. People sometimes forget that though in the heat of the moment. One time I was watching/helping out a lady playing 50-lines of TDB, once she was dealt 3 Aces with a kicker, and I forgot to remind her to keep the kicker since I rarely play TDB...whoops. She hit regular Aces 5 times though, so she did okay I guess. :)

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

Assuming that you 'used up' only one kicker by discarding it, you still have 11 in the deck available if you are lucky enough to catch that 4th Ace. Having only one draw at the Ace, a 1 in 47 chance, is the tough part. I opt for the 1 in 47, plus a 1 in 46 chance instead. I will then take my chances with the 11 in 47 for the kicker.   

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

[QUOTE=onemoretry] I am a little surprised that folks would, in triple double bonus poker, toss the kicker and draw to the three aces.  Granted, you will hit quad aces twice as often, but four aces with kicker pays five times as much.
Assuming that you 'used up' only one kicker by discarding it, you still have 11 in the deck available if you are lucky enough to catch that 4th Ace. Having only one draw at the Ace, a 1 in 47 chance, is the tough part. I opt for the 1 in 47, plus a 1 in 46 chance instead. I will then take my chances with the 11 in 47 for the kicker.   [/QUOTE]

True billyjoe but you didn't mention the fact that your average win will be less than half what it would be by holding the kicker. If you choose to reduce your winnings that is fine, but please make it obvious when you make these comments that a person will win LESS money with your approach. Here's the numbers based on only the quad aces:

A 1/47 chance at $4000 is an $85 average win.
A 2/47 chance and 11/47 chance at the kicker is $40 average win.