analyzer and java

Discuss video poker programs for the home user
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

analyzer and java

Post by olds442jetaway »

I have been trying to use the Wizard's vp analyzer, but it wants you to install java 8 which is still somewhat in testing. Even when I have java ckeck the compiter it says I have the latest version which is 7 and I think release 71. I am unable to find in another place a paytable for Double Down Stud Joker poker with various paytables. Any ideas on the above? Thanks.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

You weren't given an option to install "later"? That's what I typically do if I don't feel like updating java.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Maybe I am missing, but when I go into the site, the Java download comes right up and it appears you cannot go forward without downloading java 8. I currently have win 8.1. I remember with xp before that computer died, a similar message came up. In fact, aol will not let me go at all to the hand analyzer portion of the Wizard's site. Had to go through Chrome just to get this far. If you just type in wizard video poker analyzer, it will come up and you will see what I mean I think. I used to be able to use the analyzer with no problems, but it has been quite a few months with the current situation. If you have better luck, please let me know. Then I guess I can email the wizard and see what he or his people say about it. Thanks. By the way, I think that makes 52 beers now and 53 if you come up with how I can get into the analyzer without the java download.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

I had issues before with the Video Poker java applets that is created by JB.

There is not a specific feature on there that requires Java 8, its only been out for a few months and the analyzer has been out for a few years now.

The issue is that the Java applet (in a more understandable term, a program) does not have a valid certificate issued (costs money to get one) to see it as a safe/trusted source. The browser will think updating Java will resolve the issue but it does not, so it communicates with Oracle (who bought out Sun Microsystems) to try to update the issue.

Without further ado, Click on Start and type "Configure Java", run the first search entry you see, if you do not see it, you do not have java installed but I think you do have it installed.

The Java control panel opens, go to the security tab. Hover your mouse cursor above the OK/Cancel buttons to reveal "Edit Site List" button (I know the interface is flaky, as of today they still have not fixed for years). Click on it until and you will see another pop up. Again hover the mouse cursor around until you see Add button.

Add the entry "http://www.wizardofodds.com" and click OK, the interface is still flaky.

Reopen the web browser and it should work for all browsers.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

Btw, despite this necessary workaround with the JAVA issues, I still think very highly of all the Java based Video Poker tools that the webmaster JB has created. So I take nothing away from it.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Thanks much for the info and instructions. I added wizard's address to java and even lowered temporarily the java security setting to medium, but I still cannot access the analyzer. The prompt to install java 8 still comes up and I can't seem to find a way around. Guess I will have to write the wizard and see what's up. Any other suggestions appreciated.

ColorMeOld
Forum Rookie

Post by ColorMeOld »

Thanks much for the info and instructions. I added wizard's address to java and even lowered temporarily the java security setting to medium, but I still cannot access the analyzer. The prompt to install java 8 still comes up and I can't seem to find a way around. Guess I will have to write the wizard and see what's up. Any other suggestions appreciated.

OLDS: I'm running Windows 8.1. Went to The Wizards site yesterday with Google Chrome, got the prompt to upgrade to Java 8. Did the upgrade immediately and successfully. Analyzer works fine for me now.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

I tried running it on another system that had JAVA 7, ran into an error.

I guess it really does need JAVA 8.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Thanks. Looks like 8 is the only way to go for the analyzer.

spxChrome
VP Veteran

Post by spxChrome »

In fact, aol will not let me go at all ... AOL no wonder you haven't hit a royal in 8 years