Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives....

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives....

Post by Galeygoo »

I LOVE :) this show!!! I can watch this charismatic, entertaining host, Guy Fieri FOR HOURS and get several cooking tips to boot... I notice he "monopolizes" the Food Network Channel on the weekends and am certainly NOT surprised ;)

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

i was just watching triple D. it is a good show.

not to put a damper on this show or any other program about restaurants, but have you noticed;

-how much sugar is put in sooo many dishes
-the same for salt
-how about how they never seem to pour off grease/fat off the meats they cook and just serve the dish with all that stuff in the food they serve. like when they make chili, cook the hamburger and just use the meat and grease in the dish.

i guess that is why the food tastes good, loaded with stuff that is bad for you.

Come Back Kid
Video Poker Master

Post by Come Back Kid »

You lost me at "cooking tips" LOL.... :lol:

Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Post by Galeygoo »

notes1 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:30 pm
like when they make chili, cook the hamburger and just use the meat and grease in the dish.
I believe those steps are edited; any "seasoned" (no pun intended) cook would/should ;) know to do that. :) Triple D isn't a cooking show, per se; hence the editing i/m/o 8-)

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

i can attest that i have seen episodes where the 'chef' would cook meatballs directly in the pasta sauce and where after cooking hamburger for chili, the entire contents were used to make the balance of the dish.

sugar, salt, 'fat', make things taste good, so they use it.

i still like the show.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

notes1 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:00 am
i can attest that i have seen episodes where the 'chef' would cook meatballs directly in the pasta sauce and where after cooking hamburger for chili, the entire contents were used to make the balance of the dish.

i still like the show.
Where do you cook your meatballs? I brown them in a pan but cook them in sauce.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

We like TripleD as well. Two problems, places mentioned on the show get jammed after first appearing or in a repeat episode and some featured in the past have closed.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

billryan wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:51 am
notes1 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:00 am

i still like the show.
Where do you cook your meatballs? I brown them in a pan but cook them in sauce.
by the time our meatballs make it into the sauce, they are already cooked and grease disposed of. same with chili.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Brown in a very old seasoned cast iron skillet. Drain. Bake part way. Drain. Bake the rest of the way in the sauce. 3/4 beef. 1/4 pork. In the old days used to use veal too. Bread crumbs made from Italian bread. I almost always make Angel Hair pasta. Once in a blue moon mini pene. I like red pepper flakes on mine too. I used to make my own ground meat with a vintage meat grinder hand crank , but am too lazy nowdays.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

For a quick lunch, IMO, nothing beats an open face grilled cheese sandwich with a slice of farm tomato on top. Make in the toaster oven make sure to toast till the cheese is golden brown.