Bizarro World 2023

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
tech58
Video Poker Master

Re: Bizarro World 2023

Post by tech58 »

TT, might I ask your "same game'?
I like your approach and respect for the value of discipline.
Wondering if that approach can survive with the higher variance games.

Also raising bet bet levels with wins is not my usual practice.
I tend to conserve wins and chase losses, discipline being a work in progress. The nice Royals usually go home with me, but on other occasions my bankroll does not. Probably no difference long term. What do you think from your experience?

TripleTriple
VP Veteran

Post by TripleTriple »

tech58 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:41 pm

TT, might I ask your "same game'?

What do you think from your experience?
9/7 TDB Double Pay

Not sure what I'm thinking about, but I do preserve wins to an extent- using the FAA approach, depending on amount, how far I am into a session, etc- only inasmuch that it is positive reinforcement, since as I have learned here, it doesn't matter if you quit or keep playing. It is really all one long session. Hence, it doesn't make a difference in the long term. There is one exception in my situation.

If I were truly disciplined I wouldn't alter my denomination at all because volatile games have a way of humbling even the most determined. Also because it clouds my perception and memory (though I do keep records) and includes another variable. That is where I veer from being a calculated player and crossover into the gambler persona. VP doesn't really have that slot jackpot (life changing) type win unless you play at the highest denominations, so I choose a game where the max payout is high and increase the wager. Because of my "investment" to date, I really can't justify lessening my denomination since I won't stand a chance of recouping my losses. My biggest discipline struggle is limiting my trips, with reasons beyond exposing myself to significant losses.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Wow TDB. Your no stranger to variance. I play 9/6 JOB 99% of the time. Vanilla, and sometimes boring, to be sure. But the pucker factor is considerably less, and it keeps me in the game longer, and more hands usually equals more chances for happy events.
Of course the swings come around in TDB also. But being there long enough must be a challenge.

Your self-examination of your strategy and play, and keeping good records, is exemplary. :up:
For me not so much. :ouch:

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I do chase losses. That is the nature of the game when playing Martingale Clone. My biggest problem is not quitting when I am a couple of hundred or more bucks ahead. That happens nearly every session. So I start over playing small, but then I get antsy if things aren’t hitting and advance to dollars from quarter play. More often than not, that results in a budget buster and ends the session. If I still played the Clone, but did not increase my bet until hitting 4 deuces or 5 of a kind on Joker Poker would make not make me even, I think I would be ahead of the game overall

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Multiplying the randomness of luck by the changing of the games, denominations, credits bet and trying to make sense of it. Randomness squared if you will. Olds has a system- but he constantly suffers from what he calls a lack of discipline. I appreciate the vagaries of luck, but I try to compensate for that by playing the same game with the same pay table at the same denomination (albeit often raising on a win), and disciplined in staying the course during losing streaks.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I am hope based. I try to cut corners by hoping to cash in on a huge max bet and short coin it half the time. Randomness Squared makes me feel like an absolute idiot. But it is what it is. Much more BP max this year. All I've accomplished before was more play from BR before busting.
Last edited by FAA on Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Because of my "investment" to date, I really can't justify lessening my denomination since I won't stand a chance of recouping my losses.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sure you can. Sunk-Cost Fallacy: the phenomenon whereby a person is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I play 9/6 JOB 99% of the time. Your self-examination of your strategy and play, and keeping good records, is exemplary. For me not so much.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's the problem? There's nothing to actually examine. You're largely out of harm's way with 99.54% JOB. Just keep grinding. That's your chosen path.

TripleTriple
VP Veteran

Post by TripleTriple »

FAA wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:35 am
Because of my "investment" to date, I really can't justify lessening my denomination since I won't stand a chance of recouping my losses.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sure you can. Sunk-Cost Fallacy: the phenomenon whereby a person is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial.
It's not reluctantance- I'ts refusal...it's not clear to me yet. I made a commitment knowing full well what I was in for.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

It's your money, TT. A ton of philosophers and economists cannot dissuade you. Loss Chases bound!

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

FAA wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:45 am
I play 9/6 JOB 99% of the time. Your self-examination of your strategy and play, and keeping good records, is exemplary. For me not so much.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's the problem? There's nothing to actually examine. You're largely out of harm's way with 99.54% JOB. Just keep grinding. That's your chosen path.
"nothing to actually examine" ? "out of harm's way" ?
Sounds like your exhibiting a lack of experience of the disastrous kind. May the VP God's continue to smile on you. :mrgreen: