Claiming World Record

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
tech58
Video Poker Master

Re: Claiming World Record

Post by tech58 »

Very true Ted.
I have been driving in deer territory all my life. Especially the two peak times for car-deer accidents which are the rut in the fall, and late May thru june when the does move again after fawning.
I fish at night and hunt till dark at those times and have seen many thousands of deer along the road with no accidents and i have a habit at night of not watching the center of the road but rather the edges.
This time i was distracted by a guy behind me too close and looked in the rear view mirror and when i looked back the deer was 10 feet off my bumper, at 62 MPH, no chance.
Extra cautious from now on? You bet!
In all honesty one more point should be made. At age 78 i am not as good at anything as i used to be.
That includes driving and reaction times. Anybody that doubts that isn't there yet.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

Glad you didn't get hurt Tech. Can empathize with the diminishing reaction time after age 70. Wife and I got rear-ended a few years ago on the freeway by a distracted driver. We stopped as did the work truck in front because of a dog that wandered onto the highway. Car was totaled as we were knocked into the truck. Neither of us was seriously hurt though my wife's CT scan found the cancer spot on her lung.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Hope the CT scan was fortunate and led to good results.
My wife and i had a similar rear-ender by a large truck while driving a 1959 beetle,both seats broke loose and we ended up in what would have been the trunk if it had one.
To this day, no idea why neither of us were seriously injured,and my wife was pregnant at the time.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

Thanks Tech. Originally, it was fortunate to discover early but she is still battling it.

case
VP Veteran

Post by case »

I had a deer jump over my car. Came running out of the ditch and jumped right over the middle of the car with out touching anything. I saw it at the last second and though he was going to hit the drivers door but up and over he went. My lucky day.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Flying deer this time of year? Did he have a red nose?

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

I've seen quite a few endotherms come running out of ditches with red noses in my time.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

OTABILL wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:03 pm
Thanks Tech. Originally, it was fortunate to discover early but she is still battling it.
i know what the "battle" means for both of you.
My wife is a two-time survivor. Weapons are improving every year, may they bless you too. :heart:

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

tech58 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:03 am
OTABILL wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:03 pm
i know what the "battle" means for both of you.
My wife is a two-time survivor. Weapons are improving every year, may they bless you too. :heart:
Met my wife when I was a widower due to cancer. Been through this before. Hope and pray the results are better this time. Even though the tools for fighting cancer have improved, the side effects take their toll and can be just as devastating.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Prayers as akways OTB for you folks. As to deer stories, lost my wife’s low mileage Sentra on the road between Foxwoods and Mohegan. Thank God I had left her at Mohegan for an hour while I ran over to Foxwoods for a bit of free play. A large female deer leaped out of the woods and head on into the car just above the bumper. Totaled the car, but as it rolled over the car, one hoof went into the windshield where she would have been sitting. It was in the middle of the night nobody around. I summined up somehow a bunch of strength and pulled the radiator support and franework away from the engine. Re bent the partly destroywd fan and luckily I had some quick set water weld putty with me in the trunk. Plugged the destroyed radiator, unbent the buckled hood and scraped away rhe remnants of the grill. The airbags never went off and the car never stopped running till I shut it down. I actualky limped the few miles back to the Mohegan gas station bought some bungi cords and 2 gallons of antifreeze and parked in the garage. Told wife the story. We went to bed and I got up early and finished what I could do to get the car home for the 60 mile trip safely. No suspendion damage or to the engine, but the unibody was a mess and twisted hood destroyed and both fenders damaged all front lights gone. Anyway, the car was 10 years old so we only got 5k for it. Just coincidence my Saturn was in the shop and thats why we had the wife’s car. I could have had AAA tow it, but I don’t know if they would have allowed the both of us in the tow truck. I pretty much knew what to do since I had previously restored a few antique cars to show condition over the years. The main thing is we were both watched over from above. Glad the Mrs. was tired and had turned in early deciding not to ride along.