big payout

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
Jstark
Video Poker Master

Re: big payout

Post by Jstark »

I'd rather think she only got some of her money back. Highly unlikely she's ahead on the game overall.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

[quote=billryan post_id=127965 time=1568536928 user_id=22422]

My 1099 employees were really free lance contractors responsible for their own taxes.

'does that mean you didn't pay the employer share of social security taxes for them ?'

My responsibility is to provide opportunities for the people to make money.

'what a benevolent employer. you gave them jobs, so you could make money off their labor, just like any other employer.'

The government takes taxes and is responsible for the welfare of the people.

'does that mean the government is responsible for paying someone's mortgage, rent, food, utilities? why do you get to decide what the government should pay for?'

Employers don't provide police protection, nor fire service, why should they provide health coverage?

'because , under obamacare, for certain size companies, it was the law. '

i still doubt that your average employee, where tips are a large part of their income and most under report, earned enough taxable income, to pay federal taxes that would cover their cost of healthcare.

your mindset seems to be;
-YOU were a great guy for offering someone employment. forget the fact, you made money off those employees.
-YOU get to decide what to offer your employees, despite what their needs are. the government, meaning the rest of us taxpayers, need to pay for the lack of healthcare you did not provide your employees.
-YOU also get to decide that american taxpayers should pay for illegal's needs, when they come here uninvited.

so, as long as YOU get what you want, all is ok, anyone who thinks differently is a racist/bigot.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

What I don't understand is that when the "1099ers" are referred to as employees. There have been several decisions passed down by the courts regarding mis-classification of employees as independent contractors when, in fact, they should have been classified as employees. So, calling them "employees who received 1099's" could open up a can of worms anyway.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

Tedlark wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:05 am
What I don't understand is that when the "1099ers" are referred to as employees. There have been several decisions passed down by the courts regarding mis-classification of employees as independent contractors when, in fact, they should have been classified as employees. So, calling them "employees who received 1099's" could open up a can of worms anyway.
you are correct. it is an abused system, by employers, who are simply trying to avoid paying all the related costs of an actual 'employee'.

i am still waiting to hear if BR, as one who supports taking care of folks, actually paid all the FICA costs.

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

notes1 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:49 am
Tedlark wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:05 am
you are correct. it is an abused system, by employers, who are simply trying to avoid paying all the related costs of an actual 'employee'.

i am still waiting to hear if BR, as one who supports taking care of folks, actually paid all the FICA costs.
This was a big issue in the 80s with "professional" wrestlers when some of them tried to start a union. There was much debate on whether they were classified as employees or independent contractors. This could be true for any sport.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

Reading this thread reminds me why I feel the Recreational Forum has been hijacked. The lady probably plays VP primarily for entertainment/enjoyment, etc. She may be financially independent and has budgeted discretionary funds for her VP pastime. Spending money to engage in a recreational activity is a common practice, whether golf, bowling VP, etc. Whether one is a longtime winner or loser is important to some but not necessarily to others. Depends on one's perspective.

stevel96a1
Video Poker Master

Post by stevel96a1 »

Jstark wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:55 am
I'd rather think she only got some of her money back. Highly unlikely she's ahead on the game overall.
so its there isn't one guy or girl out there who is not ahead 1 or 2 years? who frequent 6-9 times a year?
whos ahead several thousand dollars playing strictly quarters? i already know what can and has happened playing 95-97% games, after 10 years your statement maybe correct but again the cards are constantly shuffling. it seems like this idea of winning money and staying ahead more than 40hours of game play seems to be impossible or very close to it to some like you, but i read what others went through that reflects my results , i hope that lady cracks another 12.5k royal and rubs in the face of the mathies!

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

[/quote]

[/quote]

There are other costs that an employer may evade when mis-classifying employees as 1099's and a big one is workman's comp insurance. Say one of BR's 1099 workers got hurt while "not being an employee but a 1099er", this employee would be on their own and not be covered under his work comp insurance.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

otabill, as to your 'hijacked' reference, i started the thread only because i had never heard of anyone winning 50,000 coin payment before. i thought it was interesting. winning $12500 on $1.25, not bad.

i almost never post in this category anymore, because like you, i don't think folks should be chastised for playing VP without an advantage. but, that is exactly what the 'math' folks, and we all know who you are, do. they are trying to impress us, but no one is impressed, other than other math types.

i know little about this lady other than what i reported. she is in her mid 60-70's, plays alone and quiet, takes her time. her situation could be anything. i argued for years that not everyone wants to live in a location where VP payouts are positive or limit their play only when travelling to such a venue. who cares if she loses $10-20-40K a year, it is her money and may be the only thing she spends money on. but, normally, the math folks would have none of it. they felt it is there duty in life to point out how stupid this type of player is.

as far as hijacked, it is the same poster who normally does this.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

notes1 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:54 pm
otabill, as to your 'hijacked' reference, i started the thread only because i had never heard of anyone winning 50,000 coin payment before. i thought it was interesting. winning $12500 on $1.25, not bad.

i almost never post in this category anymore, because like you, i don't think folks should be chastised for playing VP without an advantage. but, that is exactly what the 'math' folks, and we all know who you are, do. they are trying to impress us, but no one is impressed, other than other math types.

i know little about this lady other than what i reported. she is in her mid 60-70's, plays alone and quiet, takes her time. her situation could be anything.
Exactly. I have no problem as to how someone views recreational play. If it "floats their boat" that's fine. If someone posts that they feel differently that's fine as long as it is done respectively. What I object to is denigrating someone who has a different perspective.