the speech

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
paco13
VP Veteran

Re: the speech

Post by paco13 »

You are born with a level of intelligence. You must become educated. There are many who are intelligent who for whatever reason are not educated. There are those who are educated who may not be inherently intelligent. And many are educated but only in a specific area.

Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Post by Galeygoo »

You are born with a level of intelligence. You must become educated. There are many who are intelligent who for whatever reason are not educated. There are those who are educated who may not be inherently intelligent. And many are educated but only in a specific area.Stated simply and eloquent; you have my vote, Paco

paco13
VP Veteran

Post by paco13 »

I'll give you an example. My brother in law is an aeronautical engineer. I bought one of his old cars from him when I was a teenager. There were so many college stickers in the rear window I couldn't see out of it. Anyhow, my sister and he blew a tire on her '73 Nova one day. He changed it and put the lugs on backwards. Didn't make it very far. My Ol' man was pissed. He made the "smart" choice to leave the working on cars to us or a shop after that.
Now in contrast he also went to yachting/sailing school. I of course had never been sailing or boating before and he invited me out on his Hobie Cat. I was like a fish out of water. I quickly became a man in the water seconds after he shouted JIBE! JIBE!.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

well said, paco.

the problem I have are with those who assume that only those who are educated have intelligence and the level of education directly relates to their value to society and the value of their opinions. it would be like valuing one's importance, only by the wealth they have accumulated. you have more money, you must be smarter.

the number of books one has read, countries one has visited, languages one can speak, degrees they have attained may only show a level of curiosity and drive to know more, but does not guarantee turning that knowledge into something that can advance society or themselves.

we need those who are capable of solving medical problems, but it does little good, if they do not know how to repair the faulty light switch in their office. unfortunately for me, I can do neither.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Was out of commission for a few days visiting in laws, but see Bernie has capitulated and thrown his full support behind Hillary. This is very sad to me. I always liked Bernie's honesty, although I agreed with almost none of his positions. Very sad to see a 74 year old cave so easily. He is not going to get another chance to change his party and his supporters are pissed. At that age, to throw the towel in so easily, what is left for him?

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

He lost. Now he realizes Hillary is the better option than the dumpster.Regardless of who wins in November,he has gone from backbencher to one of the leading Democrats. When they take the Senate, he will Chair some of the lead committees.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

pols are pretty smart, he likely had his reasons. one possibility is that if dems win WH and senate, Bernie moves up in power.

a number of decades ago, someone told me to consider getting 50% of something as opposed to 100% of nothing. I really like that line and have used it often in life.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

So Bernie is a typical politician and not what his followers thought. They will still be heard from. Billryan, give me that link again, I couuldn"t find it. Are you sure there is 1669 in it? Thanks. CC