Magic Deal Poker Strategy for DDB Players

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Vman96
Video Poker Master

Re: Magic Deal Poker Strategy for DDB Players

Post by Vman96 »

It took me a few rounds of the weekly contest to realize that the magic of the Magic card is based on the *draw* rather than the deal. I was approaching it like Dream Card, but it's really more like a Joker I guess.

Looks like DDB has the lowest rate of Magic cards, at least of the selections in the contest.

It's fun enough playing for free, but I can't see playing this IRL unless I hit the Powerball first.

TDB, if offered, would have even a lower rate. Magic cards make premium hands much easier to make. Especially 2 or more magic cards.

doris13
Video Poker Master

Post by doris13 »

i need to ask a question.i was dealt 3 magic cards a queen of clubs and a 10 of spades.i decided to only hold the magic cards and my first hand was four 10's.how did i get back the card i threw out?

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

i decided to only hold the magic cards and my first hand was four 10's.how did i get back the card i threw out? Because it's magic?

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

i need to ask a question.i was dealt 3 magic cards a queen of clubs and a 10 of spades.i decided to only hold the magic cards and my first hand was four 10's.how did i get back the card i threw out?

The first page on the Help page states "The Magic Cards are replaced by the best possible cards for each hand".

I did not see the word "remaining" so I think you could get back the cards that was discarded, but cannot be duplicate of the cards already displayed.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

I did not see the word "remaining" so I think you could get back the cards that was discarded, but cannot be duplicate of the cards already displayed. This statement appears to be correct. While I was playing just now, I saw discards reappearing as magic cards.

I do think that, if you receive three magic cards, you should hold any potential royal card, since that gives you four chances at a royal on your draw card.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

alpax and OMT you are both right, the 10 of spades reappeared as a "magic card" because one or two of the other 10's came out in the 1 or 2 spot and the spade 10 was the necessary card to complete the best hand.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

alpax and OMT you are both right, the 10 of spades reappeared as a "magic card" because one or two of the other 10's came out in the 1 or 2 spot and the spade 10 was the necessary card to complete the best hand.

I think if a discarded card is prohibited from appearing as a Magic Card, it could be a deal breaker for many players. This whole strategy will also be invalid since I accounted for the cards to reappear again.

I do think that, if you receive three magic cards, you should hold any potential royal card, since that gives you four chances at a royal on your draw card.

I agree with your statement. I listed out to hold one Royal Card or a 2, 3, 4 kicker card when 3 Magic Cards appear (it will take hours of play just to see it come out once). It is a rather big mistake to let one of those cards go, 616 expected credits with holding a royal flush card vs 587 expected credits discarding all so there is a 29 credit loss ($7.25 in quarters)!

Since a Straight Flush is worth the same as 5-K quad, it does not matter which one to hold. In Jacks or Better, I would say a 2, 3, 4 is not held. The Straight Flush is worth more so the 10 should be held over a Queen for more chances at the Straight Flush.

doris13
Video Poker Master

Post by doris13 »

i would have held one royal card but since i had two with different suits and i didn't know which to hold i discarded both.all 10 hands gave me a 4 of a kind tho.

asteroid

Post by asteroid »

Do folks think that when this game hits the floor that the player will have the option to select 1 hand to play (since this game will be offered in 3,5, and 10 lines I would guess) ?I had a chance to play it even though I am not a gold member because it is the weekly vp tournament game and I think it is a lot of fun. I would not be able to afford 10 lines, but I would definitely play 5 cent or 10 cent denomination if I could select 1 hand.thanks.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

i would have held one royal card but since i had two with different suits and i didn't know which to hold i discarded both.all 10 hands gave me a 4 of a kind tho.

The logic for discarding both cards is tempting because they were unsuited. Retaining the potential to be half way to the Royal Flush has great value. Even if the other card turns out to be Ace, 2, 3 or 4, it will be an upgrade on payout from 250 to 400 or 800.

Correct, you are guaranteed a 4 of a kind on every hand if you have 3 Magic Cards. For long time Deuces Wild players, they are already aware of this.

Do folks think that when this game hits the floor that the player will have the option to select 1 hand to play (since this game will be offered in 3,5, and 10 lines I would guess) ?I had a chance to play it even though I am not a gold member because it is the weekly vp tournament game and I think it is a lot of fun. I would not be able to afford 10 lines, but I would definitely play 5 cent or 10 cent denomination if I could select 1 hand.thanks.

The way things are set up, it is not possible to play single line.

When you push Bet One incrementally on a 5 Play, it goes by

1 line 1 credit (1)
2 line 1 credit (2)
3 line 1 credit (3)
4 line 1 credit (4)
5 line 1 credit (5)
5 line 2 credit (10)
5 line 3 credit (15)
5 line 4 credit (20)
5 line 5 credit (25)
5 line 5 credit + Bonus Enabled (50)

I have seen Dreamcard in a single line variant on Five Star Poker. I am not sure when the next All Star Poker or Five Star will be released to potentially introduce single line.