The myth of playing 5 coins in video poker.

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
BillWFord
Forum Regular

Re: The myth of playing 5 coins in video poker.

Post by BillWFord »

markinca

Regular JOB Video Poker.

I can see where betting max coins to get the 4000 coins for a RF. I understand that the amount bet per hour is the key and that means you need to bet the max coins and get the best return for your bets (99.54%).

My problem is that I have a certain pace (slow) that I play at and going faster (more mistakes) or slower (boring) is not enjoyable.   So to me playing one quarter on a 9/5 machine is better than playing max coins on a 7/5 nickel machine. So both would be the same coin in and the quarter machine would pay better. 97.08% to 96.14%. So in this situation I am better off playing the single coin rather than the max coin machine. Do you agree ???

In order for me to play a 9/6 (99.54%) machine I would have to bet max on a 9/6 dollar machine or 5 dollars a hand. That is way too rich for my blood.

I suspect everyone has a pretty fixed pace that they are comfortable playing at. With the exception of professional players, this probably determines what type of machine they should play in order to get the most value of coin in per hour. In my case it is not the max coin machine.

Enjoy your posts.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

What does speed have to do with it? Or amount bet per hour?
Neither of them have anything to do with the payback of the machine?
Nevermind, I'm done here.

BillWFord
Forum Regular

Post by BillWFord »

Billryan

What do you mean speed, or amount per bet per hour, doesn’t count !!!

The faster I play, or the more I bet per hour, determines my “coin in”.

Isn’t “coin in” what you preach ???

I think you just like to argue.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

No, you seem to have comprehension problems. Neither speed, nor amount bet per hour nor coin in affects the machines payback.
The paytable remains the same if you bet one hand per hour or a thousand hands per hour. If you bet $500 an hour or $50 an hour, its the same.
Claiming your pace somehow effects the paytables is wrong.
If trying to correct your mistaken thinking is arguing to you, so be it.

BillWFord
Forum Regular

Post by BillWFord »

Billryan
I never said that speed, or amount bet per hour, changed the paytable of a machine (example 99.54% on a 9/6 machine). Obviously it does not. But, as obviously, speed and amount bet affects how much you win or lose.   That my seven year old grandchild can understand.

As I have stated before: Either I have failed to make myself clear to you or you just like to argue.

I can not imagine how this post, or my last post, are unclear to you. I can tell you are very well read in this field.   I am not on this forum to argue. I want to post my findings, or questions, and then read and learn from the the responses I get.   I do not want to get into a pissing contest with anyone. If that is your objective please do not respond to my posts.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I suspect everyone has a pretty fixed pace that they are comfortable playing at. With the exception of professional players, this probably determines what type of machine they should play in order to get the most value of coin in per hour. In my case it is not the max coin machine.

My problem is that I have a certain pace (slow) that I play at and going faster (more mistakes) or slower (boring) is not enjoyable

Who said these words?

Waiting4RF
VP Veteran

Post by Waiting4RF »

BillW,

What are the DDB paytables available for you to play at nickels, quarters and dollars? You really can't win at JOB playing short coin if winning money is your objective. People play for different reasons. I understand you are only looking at the % return of the VP machine and don't use mailers, comps, etc in your calculations. DDB may be a better choice if you want to win money during a session. If bonus poker is available, 8/5 BP is better than 9/5 JOB.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Wait, Wait. I don't even want to run a max session experiment. There is some good data already available. Most of the time, you bust. I believe the constants were $200 BR on JOB. It was beyond frustrating to finish +$1 VP today. My dollar quads: $75, $25, $25. I left $250 "on the table." But I would have burned as much during the losing spells. Must be nice to rack up comps.

BillWFord
Forum Regular

Post by BillWFord »

thanks.

BillWFord
Forum Regular

Post by BillWFord »

FloridaPhil

Thanks.