RIP John Lewis

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

RIP John Lewis

Post by billryan »

THe US lost a giant today.
Mr Lewis was a lion in the civil rights movement. The youngest, and most militant of the six fathers of the movement, Mr Lewis was arrested over forty time while protesting, and famously had his skull smashed in when police attacked the peaceful demonstrators on the bridge in Selma in 1965. Fifty years later, Mr Lewis lead a crowd of over 40,000 in a march over the bridge and asked a simple question- Which side of the bridge are you on?
Mr. Lewis served his country with over 33 years in Congress, and was awarded The Presidential Freedom medal.
The son of a sharecropper, Mr Lewis was first arrested over sixty years ago, and while much has changed, recent events remind us just how far we still have to go.
Rest in Peace and take your place with Abraham, with Martin, and John.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Can you imagine being twenty years old and being a leader in the movement that brings 250,000 people to your nations capital? Mr. Lewis addressed the crowd immediately before Dr. Kings legendary I have a dream speech and asked the question that still resounds today.
If not me, then who, and if not now, then when?

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

billryan wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:39 am
THe US lost a giant today.
Mr Lewis was a lion in the civil rights movement. The youngest, and most militant of the six fathers of the movement, Mr Lewis was arrested over forty time while protesting, and famously had his skull smashed in when police attacked the peaceful demonstrators on the bridge in Selma in 1965. Fifty years later, Mr Lewis lead a crowd of over 40,000 in a march over the bridge and asked a simple question- Which side of the bridge are you on?
Mr. Lewis served his country with over 33 years in Congress, and was awarded The Presidential Freedom medal.
The son of a sharecropper, Mr Lewis was first arrested over sixty years ago, and while much has changed, recent events remind us just how far we still have to go.
Rest in Peace and take your place with Abraham, with Martin, and John.
Ditto, He was the last of the great Civil Rights leaders of the 1960s, RIP John Lewis.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Yes I agree. RIP Mr Lewis.

seemoreroyals
VP Veteran

Post by seemoreroyals »

One thing that John Lewis had was an abundance of was humility. That is something that politicians on both sides of the isle for the most part are deficient in today. He stood up for the civil rights of black people, endured beatings and countless arrests for protesting. He was a genuinely kind and decent person. I may be wrong but I do not see him as one of the ones that spray graffiti and burn other people's property down in order to draw attention to his cause. He will be missed but his contributions to the advancement of civil rights will live on forever. RIP John Lewis.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

I think Bill was hoping for more vitriol from us. Didn't get it. Let's move on.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Stunning moment of history today as Congressman Lewis's horsedrawn casket went over the Pettis Bridge.
Simply chilling.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Willing to fight, ready to fight, and he was willing to get into trouble.
God Speed.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Willing to fight, ready to fight, and he was willing to get into trouble.
God Speed.
And those that come behind him, let their courage be the same
and let's pray to God our lives are not in vain.

rockinrobin

Post by rockinrobin »

Absolutely a beautiful, moving service. Listening to the eulogies soothed my soul. We all need to be willing to get into good trouble. RIP John Lewis, a truly great man.