IGNORE FAKE PHONE CALLS-JUST HANG UP IMMEDIATELY

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
marie meijer
Video Poker Master

IGNORE FAKE PHONE CALLS-JUST HANG UP IMMEDIATELY

Post by marie meijer »

"The IRS is filing a lawsuit against you immediately! Call this 732 (etc.) number NOW!" said an authoritative female voice. She reminded me of Lily Tomlin's Ernestine. Never mind if you never heard of Ernestine! I hung up and looked up that exchange and it's Jersey. However, that may mean NOTHING. With cell phones, these area code numbers travel. My neighbor might have a CA area code for their cell, for instance, as they lived there five years ago.
Another fake threat that has been circulating for a long time goes something like this: "You missed jury duty and I can keep you out of prison! Call this number." JUST HANG UP! Do not provide any info whatsoever, like your D O B, social, bank, password, etc. I know you are all too smart to return those calls or even think twice about them. However, according to newspaper accounts, people are still responding to similar phone calls by mistake. Talk to others about these situations so they may be forewarned. We did register on line on The National DO NOT CALL list but political, charitable and a few other unwanted calls still come through. Thank you!

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

good warning. I wish all these scammers would get caught. It is terrible what they do.

marie meijer
Video Poker Master

Post by marie meijer »

Tks Eduardo, I agree! Furthermore, the IRS will NEVER call you - they use other means of getting in touch, I have heard. YOU do NOT wish to hear from them, I presume!
On the radio today it was mentioned that those who do not show up for jury duty will be fined $50 and reassigned to another jury. (Michigan station)

doris13
Video Poker Master

Post by doris13 »

my favorite is the person claiming to be from microsoft.they want to get into your computer and steal your info or plant a virus.remember people,microsoft will not call you.

edited to add;they claim to be either microsoft or windows,i've had both.just hang up.

marie meijer
Video Poker Master

Post by marie meijer »

Tks doris, good input and news to me.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

my favorite is the person claiming to be from microsoft.they want to get into your computer and steal your info or plant a virus.remember people,microsoft will not call you.

We keep getting calls from "Windows" about our computer. We usually hang up. The last time, however, my wife told them our windows needed washing and how much did they charge per window and when could they come over to clean them. Needless to say the caller was flummoxed and we hung up laughing. We have gotten the phony IRS calls, as well as others relating to credit cards, etc. Never give any info over the phone. If it sounds like it may be legitimate, e.g. from your credit card company, always hang up and call the number on your card or statement to verify legitimacy.

doris13
Video Poker Master

Post by doris13 »

my very first call from "windows"i told the guy i would not be turning on my computer.he went crazy on me screaming at me to turn it on,my security was at stake.i just laughed at him and hung up.i have had at least 10 "irs" calls.i got to know the number so now if i see it on my caller id i just don't answer the phone.

JIMDUECE`SWILD
Video Poker Master

Post by JIMDUECE`SWILD »

edited to add;they claim to be either microsoft or windows,i've had both.just hang up.  I tell them " Will you stop calling me I told you last time "I DON'T HAVE A COMPUTER" !!!  The sound in their voice " of shock " that  " You don't have a computer. Then I hang up.Instead of them calling weekly they might call about once a month.. And I tell them the same thing. 

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

The latest one we have been receiving lately is "from your alarm system manufacturer. Of course they have no clue who made our alarm system.

doris13
Video Poker Master

Post by doris13 »

how funny! after talking about this i got a call tonite from some idiot claiming to be from windows tech support.i can't tell you what i told him or webman would kick me off this site,lol.