Obamacare

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
jetermacaw
VP Veteran

Obamacare

Post by jetermacaw »

Anyone unlucky to have, how's it working out for you?

doris13
Video Poker Master

Post by doris13 »

i have a friend in her 70's who had no insurance and wound up in the hospital needing emergency surgery.to make a long story short she now has obamacare for approximately $700 a month which she can barely afford.was told she could probably get a cheaper plan if she got a job and had an income.in her 70s she should get a job. bullsh**!!!!!

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

I have a small business and pay for my health care premiums as well as for my 2 business partners. Our premiums for the 3 families are approachinng 60k per year, I kid you not. In November I turn 65, so I'm eligible for Medicare. Should save us some $. My premium for myself and wife is $1,700 per month, so that should be cut roughly in half. I thought I was going to save $2,500 per year. Nope, premiums went up $300 per month for me.

Chicagoan

Post by Chicagoan »

Carcounter, are you saying that once you go onto Medicare, your premium price will be cut in half because only your wife will be on commercial medical insurance? You know you will also need some sort of supplement, don't you?

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Now where did Phil put that darn AARP pamphlet again?????

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Gee Doris....maybe your friend should be seeking political asylum, be a refugee, or be fighting with immigration about getting deported. In that case just apply for a work permit, and Uncle Sap/Obama will give you free Obamacare. I kid you not. I just read up on it myself.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Anyone on Medicare almost has to get a supplemental plan which range 4k and up for the year. The entire health care system is nothing more than a huge minefield. Basic Medicare only covers 80% and some things aren't covered at all. That 20 percent and the non covered items could wipe out a life savings in no time without s supplemental plan. On top on that, you will need a separate prescription plan as well either from Medicare part D or one of your own choice associated with your supplemental insurance.
     Edited to add a little more about the minefield. Most know I lost my mom earlier this year after a long battle with multiple conditions. Medicare does not cover custodial nursing home care and if your condition is such that you could not properly care for your loved one at home and need round the clock care you could easily be wiped out in a few months or year. In our area, an average nursing home costs between 15k and 18k per month and that does not include drug coverage and some other medical services. That number is just for the room and board. My mom had to be in one of these facilities for the better part of a year, so you can do the math on that one. Once Medicare determines that you can no longer be rehabilitated and get better, you are totally on your own. Thank God we still have our 92 year young WW2 veteran dad, but who knows what we will face in the future. The VA I will say has been very good to us and we have no major complaints. Should we have to face the nursing home situation again, that will be an entirey different story. Many folks plan ahead and plan to give away their life savings to their children or others so they can have the government pay for nearly everything, but for the most part, children who lived through the depression do not do this and feel they should not be on the dole so to speak.

Lucky Larry
Video Poker Master

Post by Lucky Larry »

Our story. Sweet C's mom had a degenerative disease. Having gone to one the Texas attorneys (who wrote the "Elderly Care Act" in Texas) helped us learn a lot.

Medicare only pays for long-term care under special hospitalization qualifications. Check with Medicare and most nursing home coordinators are a great resource.
Medicaid can assist with long-term care if you apply, but Medicaid looks at all financial transactions and has clawback provisions for up to 5 years. Monies spent, given away to family can all be used to determine the patient's share of expenses. A good "Elderly Care" attorney can be worth a consultation.

Another problem exists with state's that haven't expanded under ACA.

Costs are also greatly impacted by the legislation passed by La. Senator John Breaux who prevents the US government from negotiating drug prices with the drug companies.

BTW: Sweet C's mom died the in the hospital the day before she was to be released to the nursing home. We miss you MeMe.   

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

I know that I need a supplemental plan along with Parts A and B. But it should still cost substanially less than the $850 a month I pay for myself now, shouldn't it?

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

You might find something in the 500 per month range as a supplemental plan, but you might also lose some of the coverage you have now. Bottom line, if medicare doesn't cover it, a supplemental plan won't cover it either. You may also have to get an add on plan for vision and dental care. Medicare has poor coverage in both of those areas. If your supplemental plan does not provide for prescription coverage, you will need one of the Medicare part D plans as well. I am by no means an expert in this, I'm just relating some of the things we have run up against as seniors. There are also advisers out there who may help you find just the right plan for your circumstances. Like LL said, a consultation with an elder care atty is definitely worth looking into. The 5 year rule on gifts is very important when it comes to nursing home care. There are even books written on these subjects. That is how complicated the entire system is. Best of luck CC in navigating the minefield.