ESPN Layoffs

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
alpax
Video Poker Master

ESPN Layoffs

Post by alpax »

Although I am a west coast sports fan, I am still sad to hear about today where 100 employees were relieved of their duties at ESPN.

I heard in the past people referring the Bristol, CT network as

Eastern
Sports
Propaganda
Network

Since there was bias towards the Yankees and Red Sox.

For a long time I've believed the network was the powerhouse of sports, but eventually in my opinion it fell victim of the cord cutting moment and their contracts with MLB, NFL, and NBA was their venom.

It did not help that the elite NBA teams were resting their best players during the prime time match ups.

Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Post by Galeygoo »

bias towards the Yankees and Red Sox.

....to say the LEASTBut....I LOVED Chris Berman. And the NFL pre-game shows back in the '80's taught me so much about Football when I finally decided it was time for me to figure it out and learn what so many people were loving about the game.  I am a great fan of the game and what was ESPN at its best...

case
VP Veteran

Post by case »

I read that ESPN lost 10 million subscribers over the course of three years.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

It is hard for any business to deal with losing 10 million customers/subscribers, many believe it was inevitable but when it actually happens, it hits hard. Sadly this is not the worst yet to come.

If I were asked to name one ESPN employee, it would immediately be Mr. Berman, the other would be Stuart Scott (RIP). It was a rough start to 2017 with Mr. Berman stepping down from his well known role. That enthusiasm he brought was so unique, made football even more fun to watch. Before the NFL Network, ESPN was the go to source for football news and highlights.

The cable and satellite bill is at $115 a month now to watch ESPN and these sporting events on Regional Sports Networks, with rising costs of rent/mortgage, it is not sustainable to many.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

Galey, though this is unrelated to the layoff subject I brought up, I learned through the ESPN headlines this morning that Mr. Berman's spouse passed away in a tragic car accident.

This is a terrible year beyond belief for Mr. Berman.

Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Post by Galeygoo »

Wow, Al, that is just AWFUL news.  How tragic.  I think he lost his dad just last year, too.  

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

$115 a month now to watch ESPN and sporting events on Regional
Sports Networks, with rising costs of rent/mortgage, it is not
sustainable to many.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Agreed. I must cut my two remaining premium cable channels to get to $120! Reality check time.

trumpforprez16
Forum Rookie

Post by trumpforprez16 »

ESPN's politically correct policies have finally done them in.

I love Chris Berman, Tom Jackson and NFL Insiders, NFL Primetime, though -- best NFL shows!