DDB Perfect Strategy Hold The Ace vs. JQ Question

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
mattz
Forum Newbie

DDB Perfect Strategy Hold The Ace vs. JQ Question

Post by mattz »

Hey everyone,
Lately I've been putting in my time with trying perfect my 9/5 (best we got in my area) Double Double Bonus strategy to be 100% by using both VideoPoker.com training mode and WizardOfOdds.com Video Poker Hand Analyzer.

I was presented with this hand...
5♥ J♠ Q♦ A♠ 9♣

My first guess was to hold the J♠ and Q♦, but both of the training mode and hand analyzer are telling to me only hold just the A♠ for this kind of hand.

Another similar hand I got was this...
J♥ A♣ Q♠ 4♣ 7♣

This one the software tells me to hold the J♥ and the Q♠. I've punched both hands into other pay tables (10/6 and 9/6) and it appears to be played the same.

I'm having a hard time understanding how to know exactly when to hold just the Ace and when to hold just the Jack and Queen. I'm just guessing that the other cards also have an affect on the decision, I'm just not finding where the border is between the two types holds or what other cards to watch for when this occurs.

If anybody has any tips or comments, they would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thank you!

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Unless you have a higher hold (like QJ98) with unpaired cards lower than the ten, play the QJ unless one of the cards is a 9.If you have a 9, there are still two tests for the Ace to be the best hold.1.  Both cards have to have different suits than the ace.2.  The other card has to be a 5, 6, or 7.  It cannot be a 2, 3, or 4.Learn to use free online tools like the Wizard's Hand Analyzer or invest in some video poker software to learn how to figure out the holds that puzzle you.Many just ignore Perfect Play problems like this because the perceived cost to them in complication is lower than the expected value that they will get from obtaining and using this extra knowledge.

Gronbog

Post by Gronbog »

The Wizard's analyzer says to hold A♠J♠ followed by Q♦J♠ followed by A♠ for the first hand. Perhaps his pay table is wrong. The OP said 9/5 Double Double Bonus. I changed the payout for the flush to 5 and left the rest of it alone.Can someone double check?Also, the logic behind the different holds can be useful when trying to memorize these things.New2vp (not the best handle for you anymore!), do you have any insight to add?

Gronbog

Post by Gronbog »

I can take a crack at it myself:Not throwing away a 9 adds value to the QJ (possible straight)Not throwing away a 2, 3, or 4 adds value to the A (possible AAAA with a kicker)Not Throwing away suited low cards adds value to the A (possible flush)I'm new to VP, but not to advantage play nor combinatorial math.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

I'm new to VP, but not to advantage play nor combinatorial math.

Actually, I could have made this statement when I joined the forum ... now long ago.  Welcome to the forum.  I've seen a few of your other posts.  I haven't asked Webman to change my name to Old2VP.  I'm not sure I like all the nuances that would go with that.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

I was guessing that the OP posted the suits of either the A or J wrong.  Otherwise, his question wouldn't really be germane.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Was it over when the germanes bombed Pearl Harbor?

Sorry New, couldn't resist. Coming up on the 40th anniversary in July.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Was it over when the germanes bombed Pearl Harbor?

Sorry New, couldn't resist. Coming up on the 40th anniversary in July.Sort of laughing.  No, it wasn't over until the fat lady sang.  It wasn't over until it was over.  Actually, I'm not sure where we're going with this.  So, I guess it is over.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Bluto Blutarski (future Senator Blutarski) uttered those famous words in Animal House.

Edited to add: I was going to go with Sheriff Bufford T. Justice: "The G*@ D*%m Germanes ain't got nothin to do with it."

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Bluto Blutarski (future Senator Blutarski) uttered those famous words in Animal House.

Edited to add: I was going to go with Sheriff Bufford T. Justice: "The G*@ D*%m Germanes ain't got nothin to do with it."Ok, I apologize.  I know it's better if your audience can get it without it having to be explained.  I was trying to figure out what happened in July '78 and didn't put two and two together.  Guess my math skills ... and memory ... are slipping.