Tips for playing contests

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Re: Tips for playing contests

Post by BobDancer »

The contests here are worth less than 25 cents an hour if you're an excellent player. To be in the thop ten for a given week you need to be dealt a royal (650,000 to 1 shot) or aces with a kicker (650,000 to 4 shot). Those are pretty prohibitive odds --- and most of the top ten do not receive anything valuable.

If this is how you want to spend your time, knock yourself out. But there is very little strategy in getting dealt premium hands. It's just putting in the hours at a very low rate of return. At the same time, you will not lose real money playing these games.

Spending that time practicing on software that corrects you --- and learning which games to play and how to work the comp system --- is a use of your time that can end up making you some real money. These contests have very little to do with winning at video poker.

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

Square dancing doesn't either.

I'd rather make 25 cents an hour then be caught dead dancing anywhere. It's responses like yours above why many people don't think highly of you.

hornsfan61
Forum Newbie

Post by hornsfan61 »

Play whatever hand gives you the biggest return over the percentages.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

LOL. This advice sounds like Resorts AC High Low promotion advice. Make the most irrational pick and you may win $25 FP.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I’ve never played one. I spend too much time as it is playing vp for real or practicing strategy. It would make me crazy to play vp incorrectly for hours on end just to maybe win a few pennies.

farc
Forum Regular

Post by farc »

Sea lion: me too