Going for Royal flush's only

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Player422738
VP Veteran

Re: Going for Royal flush's only

Post by Player422738 »

Jstark wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:53 pm
hophoofer wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:59 pm
Jstark wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:56 pm
Pay back and strategy here:

https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-po ... d-0-d-800/
This is not the correct return for holding only royals cards. Because you can be paid for jacks or better etc.
The OP stated a win on a royal flush only and everything else was a loser. But if we add a high pair to it, here us the result:

https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-po ... d-0-d-800/
His point is mainly in this sentence "hold less expected value cards for a higher chance of the big hit", my understanding is he intended to say the return rate of holding only royal cards while other hands get paid as well. Otherwise the statement is completely meaningless.

Wait for my calculation.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

onemoretry wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:51 am

You will, inevitably, hit some lower paying hands as well, but hardly enough of them to cover that $28,000 shortfall.
I wasn't thinking very clearly when I said that, since the lower paying hands would be zero. So, just under $29000 coinin gets you a total of $1000 back. That is a return of around 3% of your total coinin, but it's not a profit of 3%, it's a 97% loss.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Join the not thinking very clearly sometimes club. The only consolation is we have already forgotten what most will ever learn and still retain more than what most will ever learn. Guess I am referring to the huge segment of society that couldn't tell you who the vp is, but they know who is dating who or who dumped who in Hollywood.

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

adapterz wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:08 pm
I was curious to see what is the royal flush cycle for jacks and better if the only pay table win was a royal flush? That is you only won on the royal flush and nothing else (no point in holding anything other than 10, J, K, Q, A suited. I am asking because sometimes people hold less expected value cards for a higher chance of the big hit, and if you go to the extreme with a royal flush only pays paytable, how much more often will it show up?
Helps to read the OP

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

Jstark wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:39 am
Helps to read the OP
For sure! And, the royal cycle answer is straightforward. But, in the second post, there was the comment about the 3% payback, and I possibly misinterpreted it to mean "how could it be that good?', when it didn't mean to suggest that at all.