MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
wildman49
Video Poker Master

Re: MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Post by wildman49 »

This selling same as 2000-2001 I got killed lost everything, this time around I been shorting using SQQQ you learn from the past. There are many stocks down 75% and more, people think there a buy but they going to get cut in half from here. The biggies are just starting to sell off, Apple, Microsoft, Google, and so on Tesla still holding in there but the drop is coming.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

wildman49 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 6:17 pm
This selling same as 2000-2001 I got killed lost everything, this time around I been shorting using SQQQ you learn from the past.
I haven't read the entire thread, but I think you win the "boldest strategy" award.

I bought some VEA today. All international, emerging markets excluded. I was watching and waiting for a pullback as it lagged the USA on the way up. Now it's falling harder on the way down. I do think a major bear is realistically possible, but if that happens I'll buy much more.

wildman49
Video Poker Master

Post by wildman49 »

dinghy wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:25 pm
wildman49 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 6:17 pm
This selling same as 2000-2001 I got killed lost everything, this time around I been shorting using SQQQ you learn from the past.
I haven't read the entire thread, but I think you win the "boldest strategy" award.

I bought some VEA today. All international, emerging markets excluded. I was watching and waiting for a pullback as it lagged the USA on the way up. Now it's falling harder on the way down. I do think a major bear is realistically possible, but if that happens I'll buy much more.

Now it's just trading, at age 61 I can't afford to buy and hold any longer. Small trades work well on the short side in this market, if I would have shorted most every stock I went long I would have been a millionaire 20 years ago.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

wildman49 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:47 pm
Small trades work well on the short side in this market, if I would have shorted most every stock I went long I would have been a millionaire 20 years ago.
SQQQ is a 3x-leveraged inverse ETF tracking the volatile Nasdaq 100. Anything can happen within very short time periods, but longer-term performance will inevitably be negative. If I'm reading correctly, the 10-year return is -99.93%. I count four 1:4 reverse splits and two 1:5s. Cumulatively that's a 1:6400 reverse split.

wildman49
Video Poker Master

Post by wildman49 »

dinghy wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 8:04 pm
wildman49 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:47 pm
Small trades work well on the short side in this market, if I would have shorted most every stock I went long I would have been a millionaire 20 years ago.
SQQQ is a 3x-leveraged inverse ETF tracking the volatile Nasdaq 100. Anything can happen within very short time periods, but longer-term performance will inevitably be negative. If I'm reading correctly, the 10-year return is -99.93%. I count four 1:4 reverse splits and two 1:5s. Cumulatively that's a 1:6400 reverse split.
YES it's just a trading fund for day trades or over a few days not buy and hold.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

wildman49 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:23 am
YES it's just a trading fund for day trades or over a few days not buy and hold.
Just wanted to be sure you understood what you were tangling with.

It strikes me as a difficult proposition because you have to dodge the bear market rallies. The biggest one-day up moves occur almost exclusively within bear markets.

If I had a strong bear market feeling, I think I would opt instead for the unleveraged PSQ because it seems better at tracking the benchmark.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

My firm just sold most of my bonds and is using the proceeds from that piggy bank to buy more of the same stocks I already own! Essentially a doubling down on their analysis. Well, I’m chronologically in the buy and hold camp. It is what it is.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

FAA wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 7:42 am
My firm just sold most of my bonds and is using the proceeds from that piggy bank to buy more of the same stocks I already own!
Oh that's your financial advisor. I thought it was your employer.

I don't get the logic of selling bonds AFTER the worst price collapse in decades, although it depends on the specific holdings. If you had low-risk such as 2 year Treasuries, there's not much harm done.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I’m not selling any bonds or trying to catch the falling knife. I will hold tight with the yields for now. There is only one company I am going to buy if it dips below 100. I use it as a trading vehicle and in the meantime get a great dividend yield of 4.5 percent. Its Prudential. Symbol PRU. I’m not advising anyone to buy or sell it. This is just what I do. My day trading days ended nearly 20 years ago. Got tired of the paperwork and a tax return the size of a snall phone book. Heeeee

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Just in the last six months, one could have traded Prudential at least 4 times making 10-15 percent on each trade. On trades of 20,000 or so each, I could have easily covered my vp losses for the last 6 months. at the time, I was very busy dealing with other things and only caught one of the cycles. The 4.5 percent dividends were a nice bonus while I waited. Currently, I am waiting for a dip below 100 due to the bear market we are in. No crystal ball this round. I have really no idea of the future. I only know the sky high inflation and too many or too fast interest rate hikes by the Fed are very bad. or Never mind Covid and the war.