The Two Camps

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Re: The Two Camps

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=alpax]I tuned into Mr. Dancer's radio podcast last night to hear about the
status quo in Vegas video poker scene decline over the last 5 to 7
years. Most of the good players are "retiring" left and right these
days. I cannot expect these players to come here anymore. Mr. Dancer is
looking to spend more time on other hobbies with the years left in his
lifetime rather than studying extra hard to squeeze every last penny of a
video poker game; does not mean complete retirement.[/quote]I am very glad to hear this.  Mr. Dancer does not need to work unless he enjoys it.  I have reached the age myself where I find my friends are beginning to die off.   One day they are fine, the next thing I know they are fighting cancer or heart trouble.  I've been lucky so far, but there are no guarantees.  I would like to think he may poke his head in once in a while.  I don't know him personally, but I suspect he's a pretty nice guy away from the office.  I wish him luck in whatever he decides to do.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

To the non golfers out there this will mean nothing. Today i decided to play golf instead of going to Borgata for my usual Friday session. Since I'm on a 3 game losing streak at vp, made sense. On my county course in Millstone NJ, had the second eagle in my life.on a long par 4 into the wind, I hit a nice drive, maybe 235 which is my limit at 65yrs old and 165 lbs. Had 175 left, hit my hybrid square and it never left the flag. Didn't see it go in as I was looking into the sun. Got up to the green and didn't see my ball. Went to the cup and there it was. Very nice, but I'll still take a 2k or 4K royal over that any time 1k I'm not that sure.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Car, after all the good reflective "carma" I stirred in you, it was a "fore" gone conclusion. The eagle has landed! 🦅

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

Outstanding

I always thought an eagle on a par 4 that is beyond the minimum 251 yards is much more impressive than a hole in one on a par 3 (an eagle for knowledgeable players) since takes TWO excellent shots to achieve the eagle.

Professionals expect themselves to have a wedge or chip shot for a 2nd swing to set up a putt for a birdie, but most recreational players with a handicap have their 2nd shot with a hybrid or long iron which produces too much unexpected bounces.

I am very glad to hear this.  Mr. Dancer does not need to work unless he enjoys it.

I always thought Mr. Dancer was forthright with the things he said about the video poker conditions the past few years. It is not a glamorous lifestyle as you keep assuming, it required tireless effort of constantly adapting for years and Mr. Dancer is financially well enough to stop continuing having to go through with it. I do not think billryan has reached a point yet to have to worry about getting club membership or mailers revoked, that is where the real challenges begin; but one thing is clear, bill is very determined.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Yes, I agree Alpax. I'm a 20 Handicap so this was very unexpected

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Very hard to find a vp game today where your expected advantage is over 100% without a Royal or AWAK. Maybe they exist in LV, but certainly not in AC. Hope Mickey Crimm is alive and well. I don't check other forums regularly, but he had the best stories of plays he found where he had that advantage. My last 3 visits to AC (Borgata) have been horrible and what was once a healthy profit for the year is now down to just under 3K. Think it is time to slow down for a whiole

Mickey is alive, drinking as much as ever, and sharing stories on another forum, when he's not putting down perceived enemies with language that would make most rappers blush.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Many slot clubs ,in todays environment, will allow you to add people to an account. If you tell the desk clerk you have a relationship with this person, they have a choice of honoring your request or facing a potential lawsuit. Most clubs in Vegas will link two players cards if you ask. It used to be married couples, then they started with domestic partnerships, now its just about anyone. Some are more liberal than others. Ask.
Playing VP for quarters or as we often do, one hundred pennies, there are no W-2s so that's not an issue.
As recent case law states, the jackpot belongs to the person who hits the button, not who put the money in or whose card is in the machine. The payout, and the W-2 belong to the person playing. They might close out the account, but that's doubtful.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Yes, I agree Alpax. I'm a 20 Handicap so this was very unexpected

One of my happiest moments was when I finally made a par.
Must have taken about 500 holes. Hit the pin once on my Tshot on a par 3, missing a hole in one by half an inch, but three putted it.
Enjoy the feeling, it will follow you a long time.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Local advertising mailer came today and it includes a $10 match play for slots. I called and asked if it included VP and was told yes. Went back to the mail room, went through the bin where people discard unwanted mail and now have several hundred dollars worth of match play for July. Not sure I can use them all but they have bartering value.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=billryan]Many slot clubs ,in todays environment, will allow you to add people to
an account.[/quote]Thanks for the info.  I've asked and the Florida Hard Rocks do not allow this.  Mr. Dancer made this suggestion a number of years ago.  Since then we always link our cards whenever we are allowed to.   In Florida, the tribes make the law.  I agree sticking with quarters is the best plan.   No sense in emulating General Custer.