Deuces Wild Odds - When Smaller Isn't Better

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Re: Deuces Wild Odds - When Smaller Isn't Better

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=olds442jetaway]Mohegan Sun is still offering dozens and dozens of quarter machines with airport deuces at the quarter level[/quote]Good news.  I was thinking the entire northeast was a VP wasteland.  Airport Deuces is my "line in the sand".   I'm not sure I'll ever work myself up to all dollar play.  The loss per hour on a $1 negative game is just too great for my stomach.  Right now 50 cents is working out OK.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

[quote=alpax]It would take at least people who passed high school level math to figure it out.This is where VPW software comes in handy.   I carry a laptop with me on vacation, plug in the game and pay table values... "Voila" instant odds.  Yes, I did finish high school.  

[/QUOTE]

I am aware in the past you stated that you have a college degree, but I hope you did not take my remark personally. Long story short, I was honestly being biased since a good amount of young people in the state I am in are failing to earn a high school diploma because they cannot pass the course or exit exam in math more so than reading/writing. The scenario you've described is something that they are not able to do so they won't be aware of it.

One more thing about the losses per hour differential between Fooler DW at quarters and Airport DW at 50 cents, while it is easy to calculate the losses the person has to invest in a bankroll and commit to significant time (hundreds of hours) playing in order to experience the cost difference.

But yes, playing 50 cent Airport DW for double the comps makes it all worthwhile.

For the pay schedules, I think mastering a video poker game strategy is much tougher than remembering the payouts of DW games in general.

http://www.videopoker.com/learn/pay_tables/

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Using math to calculate the loss per hour is somewhat misleading as a $15 an hour loss would be a bargain on some days.  However, I find these calculations useful when comparing games and odds differences.  To me variance is more of an indicator of what kind of VP ride you are going to have.  I'm not a fan of games with lots of pain and a few seconds of pleasure.  It's like paying to visit a Dominatrix!  To each his own I guess... 

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Gee Phil, I wouldn't know anything about that..... I imagine some of the other married guys would know though. I mean the yes dear, no dear, anything you want dear types. Both of us are pretty fortunate....beat the stay married odds with pretty much equal partners all these years. We will never overcome the vp odds though. All we can really do is have fun and ignore the bee stings on really bad days. Speaking of which, I could have used the benadryl last evening.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Sometimes I get the feeling some forum members don't get my attempts at humor.  You have to live long enough to realize everything in life is actually pretty funny.   Video poker is right up there at the top of my list.  I'm off to Tampa this morning.  Maybe the VP Gods will smile on me today.  I have the feeling it will be more of a chuckle.   

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Using math to calculate the loss per hour is somewhat misleading as a $15 an hour loss would be a bargain on some days.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exactly. That's an okay entertainment cost. Trusty old 9/6 JOB is predicted to lose chump change hourly. We know what happens in practice.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

My wife and I were talking about this just the other day.  I gave her my spreadsheet predicted loss per hour on quarter Airport Deuces and she said she would take that loss any day.   After more thought she realized this included bad days, good days, royals, total blow outs and everything in between.  We came to the conclusion that the math was actually pretty close to being correct if you consider it on an annual basis. 

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

If your wife does not do the weekly trips that you take (nothing right or wrong with that), it could take 3 years for things to average out to similar results as yours.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=alpax]If your wife does not do the weekly trips that you take (nothing right or
wrong with that), it could take 3 years for things to average out to similar results as yours.[/quote]She loves video poker, but to her it's all about the potential cost.  This is interesting as she doesn't lose a lot of on an annual basis, but a $500 daily loss gives her some angst.  I played this way for years and tried all kinds of schemes in an attempt to keep from experiencing a daily loss.  Since I've moved up to max coin 50 cent play all the time, things have calmed down considerably.  In the past when I was ahead I would bet my winnings at a higher denomination shooting for the sky.  I had some great days, but I lost more money in the long run.  If you like to experience bigger jackpots but worry about bigger losses,
my advice is to move up to a denomination that excites you and stay
there.  It takes more bankroll to play this way, but you will do better than taking pot shots all over the place.  I would also advise you to move to a game with a low variance.   Pick one, find the best odds and learn to play it well.   High variance games are killer on your bankroll and your discipline.  Flat betting is getting a new look as my personal strategy.  I still lose on occasion, but I play longer and walk out even or up a lot more often.  I think I've grown as a player and have a new appreciation for VP math.  Yesterday I played 4 hours and walked out even with no royals or quad deuces.  My free play has doubled and my comp points are growing.  I've only played this way for a month.  So far so good.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Sometimes I get the feeling some forum members don't get my attempts at humor.  You have to live long enough to realize everything in life is actually pretty funny.   Video poker is right up there at the top of my list.  I'm off to Tampa this morning.  Maybe the VP Gods will smile on me today.  I have the feeling it will be more of a chuckle.   

Yep, life is short and laughter can make it last a little longer having fun along the way especially when laughing at oneself.