Are VP Machines Completely Random?

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Vman96
Video Poker Master

Re: Are VP Machines Completely Random?

Post by Vman96 »

[QUOTE=Raner] Hi Onemoratry... I checked it to verify. According to the training mode on this site, The four to the straight is correct on BP, A's & F, But on J or B the correct hold is the pair of nines... I don't play jacks or better that often but I will remember the nines... Thanks for the comeback... I have no idea why the training mode is telling you that, because, I believe, it is incorrect. Let m tell you why.

I have a set of strategy cards that includes both 9/6 JOB and 8/5 bonus poker. The only four card straight that is listed as superior to a low pair (22-1010) is KQJ10. So, yes, you would break a pair of tens to hold that four card straight.

These cards bear Bob Dancer's name, and have been around for years. I am quite certain that, if the strategy on them was faulty, there are some folks around who would have gleefully pointed it out by now.

The strategy on the Wizard of Odds site says the same thing - KQJ10 is the only four card straight superior to a low pair.

And, finally, now that I'm at home, I plugged the hand into my video poker software and confirmed that holding a pair of nines is a better play than drawing to a queen high four card straight in both 9/6 JOB and 8/5 bonus, though it is a lot closer in 8/5 bonus.

I have no idea why the training mode on this site would indicate otherwise.[/QUOTE]

For JoB/Bonus, this is correct. What he was saying was 99 is better than QJT9 was "new to him" because in DDB, you would rather hold QJT9 since 99 is weaker in DDB

Raner

Post by Raner »

Hi Vman...
Here are the snap shots from the training mode on this site.
The first link is on Jacks or Better and the second link is for Bonus Poker...
The wrong picks are held on both hands to show the result so the correct picks are the pair of nines
on JorB and Four to the straight on Bonus Poker...
Use the slider at the bottom of the page to get full view the both snap shots...
I have a copy of the original win poker. I checked the
correct strategy on it for both versions and the pair of
nines is the correct pick on both JorB and Bonus Poker.
The old win poker I have does not A's and Faces but it
has A's and Eights and the pair of nines the correct pick also...
Maybe WebMan can correct this Issue on the training mode
for Bonus, A's & Faces and any other version that has the same issue...

Jacks or Better...

Bonus Poker

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

What was missing all this time was the pay schedule. That is where all the confusion came from.

What everyone thought was that 9/6 JorB and 8/5 Bonus Poker is being played, but in this situation it was the lesser 9/5 JorB and 7/5 Bonus Poker.

A difference in pay schedule does change the strategy for the most part. If it was 8/6 JorB, it would have been the same as 9/6 JorB. I do not think there is much difference between 8/5 and 7/5 BP.

In 9/5 JorB, a low pair does beat 4 to an open ended straight up to Queen high. The strategy on Video Poker for Winners indicate that.

Raner

Post by Raner »

Nice Catch Alpax...
Ok...I see it now...
Pair of Nines on 9/6 J or B...
Pair of Nines on 8/5 Bonus Poker
Is the correct Choice...
My default games were set and were not the correct pay
scale on training mode on this site...
But my win poker pay scales were set correct...

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

What was missing all this time was the pay schedule. That is where all the confusion came from.
Ah yes - mystery solved!