Ira Jackson.

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

Ira Jackson.

Post by billryan »

I imagine we all have our favorite charities and one of mine is St Jude Childrens Research Hospital.
Founded by Danny Thomas, his daughter Marlo now is its Director and spokesperson.
St Jude never charges a patient and daily expenses approach three million a day.
Enter Ira Jackson.
Like thousands of other small donors, Mr Jackson, retired and on Social Security, donated a couple dollars a month.
Then he was diagnosed with a fatal illness. Concerned that the hospital would miss his small donation, he wrote an open letter asking someone to take his place. 900 people responded and to date they have donated hundreds of thousands in his place.
I had a pretty bad day today, came home and read about Mr. Jackson. It lightened my load.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

great story,one of the few charities I trust!!

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

Awesome story, awesome post. Good deeds are their own reward. We are supposed to do stuff like this, and expect nothing for yourself in return. The idea is, when something bad or unfortunate then happens to us, something out of our control, people will then step up and help us. Hopefully, if we are truly blessed we'll never need such help.

That's why the whole karma idea is bunk, or at least grossly misapplied. Doing truly, exceptional good deeds does not then result or cause reciprocal things to come your way. Mr. Ira Jackson is now receiving his "reward" in the form of praise and honor. You don't help out the less fortunate because you then EXPECT to be rewarded!

My own charity of choice is Shriners Hospitals for children. I spent my first 18 years of life in the one here in Springfield, Mass. I essentially grew up there, had over 20 orthopedic surgeries there ( multiple osteotomies with rods, and one extensive Spinal Fusion of all vertebrae mid thoracic thru lumbar), from age 3 to age 19-20. They literally both saved my life and allowed me to go on to have a productive prosperous career and personal life, without relying on government assistance like most people who are disabled.

St Jude hospital is in the same league as Shriners.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

My wife always donates to St Judes. Will tell her to, put another $100 on the check to cover my bet with Bill.