Bestest strategy ever from a secret pro.

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
markinca

Re: Bestest strategy ever from a secret pro.

Post by markinca »

haha this is such a dumb strategy.

Obviously the optimal strategy is to just single-coin when you're going to be dealt a losing hand, and then bet max when you're going to be dealt a winning hand (preferably a jackpot). Easy profit.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

markinca wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:06 am

Obviously the optimal strategy is to just single-coin when you're going to be dealt a losing hand, and then bet max when you're going to be dealt a winning hand (preferably a jackpot). Easy profit.
I assume you are joking? Actually, some people believe this is possible. If you lose 50 hands in a row, a winner must be coming soon. Good luck with that idea.

It is totally impossible for anyone to predict what will happen from one hand to the next. Believe me, I've tried. Playing single coin reduces losses by reducing coin in when playing negative VP games. Some people believe it pays better. It doesn't. Playing single coin allows you to play more hands with the same money. Your jackpots will be smaller. Experts say if you are going to play single coin, start there and stay there. I agree.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

FloridaPhil wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 am
Experts say if you are going to play single coin, start there and stay there. I agree.
Which experts? I'd have to see the context of where this advice was given... it doesn't sound like something an expert would say.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

markinca wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:06 am

Loose lips sink ships.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Eduardo wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 am
FloridaPhil wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 am
Experts say if you are going to play single coin, start there and stay there. I agree.
Which experts? I'd have to see the context of where this advice was given... it doesn't sound like something an expert would say.
Bob Dancer stated as much on this forum some time ago. He doesn't talk much about single coin VP, but that got my attention. Ask him yourself. He obviously doesn't recommend playing single coin as you are giving up the royal bonus. He also never plays any video poker game where he does not have an advantage.

If you start with single coin and stay with single coin, you can use math to determine the expected positive or negative return. It is what it is. Some people enjoy incrementing the number of coins while they play hoping to beat a negative game. Exactly the opposite will happen long term. You will find yourself hitting your jackpots at single coin while multiplying your losses by five at max coins. I tried this for years. In addition, the hand strategy changes between single and max coins causing errors.

There is only one reason to play single coin VP. That reason is to play a lot of hands on a limited budget. If you switch to single coin when you are running out of money, you are asking for heartbreak. Been there, done that.