Answering Ted's Question About CS

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Answering Ted's Question About CS

Post by FloridaPhil »

Recently Ted posted the following response to something I said about my two year CS winning streak. Here is my answer.
Tedlark wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm
This post is a perfect example of Phil's misinformation. Phil you need to further explain the $17,000.00 worth of jackpots which you said were won when playing single coin quarters 95% of the time. Would you mind explaining to any new people here how much of this $17,000.00 came from $5.00 single coin play or came from max coin play (your self-titled "potshots") that was mixed in with your single coin play?

You are giving the impression that the $17,000.00 (or the lion's share of it) came mostly while playing single coin quarters and this in itself would be exactly the type of misinformation that you say "The Expert" presents.
I won't go into CS here or how I came upon it. I covered all this in the past. A few years ago I conducted a VP experiment. Growing tired of my ever increasing losses, I decided to play single coin quarter VP. To make the game more interesting, I used CS strategy. I knew the games I played were severely negative. I did not believe CS would make a profit. All I wanted was to reduce my cost to play.

I discovered a side benefit to CS quarter play. It freed up extra money for pot shots. I found I could play single coin quarters all day with $50-$75. With $250 in my pocket, I was able to devote some of my money to playing bigger denominations. I used my extra money to take $20 pot shots on dollar and $5 games. I never played more than $20 at a time. To my total surprise, within the first week I hit a $1,000 quad deuce pot shot playing CS dollars. I tried it on $5 machines with the same result. I also hit one $4,000 max coin royal flush and two $1,000 max coin quarter royals. Every time I hit a significant jackpot, I posted the photo on this website. The negative response was predictable. By the end of my two year test, I had posted over $17,000 in photos and made a small profit. These photos are still in my computer and I can posted them again if someone cares to see them.

Here's what I concluded from this test. Luck plays a much bigger part in our results than we are considering. It is possible to do everything right and lose. It is also possible to do everything wrong and win. In time, the simulations are accurate. Play a positive game perfectly and you will win long term. Play a negative game perfectly and you will lose long term. Long term in my opinion is much longer than the experts seem to indicate.

I don't use CS anymore. To hold down my losses, I use Mr. Dancer's strategy and play max coin quarters almost exclusively. I no longer make pot shots a regular part of my day. Last year was one of only three winning years I have ever had. I hit seven max coin royals in 2018. Luck was on my side again.