Loser Winner

Did you hit any jackpots? Did you get a great comp? We all want to know!
OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Re: Loser Winner

Post by OTABILL »

billryan wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:54 am
Eduardo wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:48 am
I think it's okay for people have different objectives. Mine are definitely different from yours.

I think advantage players need to be able to "look past" the thrill of a royal flush.

Recreational players who play frequently need to understand the cost of their play beyond a royal flush, but a royal may still matter more to them than an advantage player if they are playing for the entertainment.

Infrequent players may only see a few royals in their lifetime, and these events are significant.

Different players, different goals, different impact from a royal flush.
I play a lot of Monopoly. Some people play to win, others play to get Boardwalk or the Railroads. One of my friends will do anything to get the Illinois monopoly. He claims the person who owns it wins 80% of the games. I don't have a favorite property. Or a set strategy. I just try to win. Strangely, tha happens pretty regularly.
Every time my wife and I played VP we hoped to have a positive outing.That made the session a success. However,our objective was a RF and if one showed up, it was something to celebrate and to my wife it was time to leave as we hit the jackpot. We are/were casual recreational players who played VP for entertainment. Different strokes for different folks. Eduardo is spot on.

Speaking of Monopoly, it was something we played as kids. We often ended our sessions without the game ending because it was time for one or more to go home. There wasn't always a winner and no one ever had heartburn over it.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

OB, your wife and I share a brain on this. Smart lady.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I loved monopoly and risk. We would leave the unfinished games set up and play for weeks when we weren’t playing the woods or ball. Learned a lot from both games.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

In the late 90s, one of my friends got a multiplayer computer game and a bunch of us started playing regularly. The games owner won suspiciously often and one of our friends quit playing over it. The computer gave a score for every game and we'd play a nickel a point. A winner might make $7 game and we generally played three games. So a few weeks goes by and one game night the lost player returned. He showed us a secret way to transfer troops that he had found on line. It was the exact thing my friend had been using almost every game. He was cheating long time friends for $5 or $10.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

billryan wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:57 pm
In the late 90s, one of my friends got a multiplayer computer game and a bunch of us started playing regularly. The games owner won suspiciously often and one of our friends quit playing over it. The computer gave a score for every game and we'd play a nickel a point. A winner might make $7 game and we generally played three games. So a few weeks goes by and one game night the lost player returned. He showed us a secret way to transfer troops that he had found on line. It was the exact thing my friend had been using almost every game. He was cheating long time friends for $5 or $10.
That's scummy. We had $5 Texas Hold'em tournaments in grad school. Probably the best player that played in them stopped playing because in another nickel and dime cash game he played in with another group of grad students, he caught a couple cheating.