Anyone remember Darlene Thomkins?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

Anyone remember Darlene Thomkins?

Post by billryan »

She was a bit of a star in the late 50s/ early 60s. Starred in Blue Hawaii with Elvis , Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges and did some tv.
Anyways, she passed away earlier this year and this weekend was her estate sale. I'm not sure why she had them, but there was a huge assortment of new in box western toys from the 40s and 50s. Picked up a few unopened Hop Along Cassidy items that are considered pretty scarce but the cream of the crop was an unopened 1956 Rin Tin Tin Fort Apache Marx play set. I thought the tin HQ building was missing, but it was at the bottom, still flat and unassembled. Fort Apache is a very popular play set. I've bought and sold dozens, but I've seen only a few Rin Tin Tin sets( only made from 1956 to 1958), and I've never seen an disassembled flat tin building before. This will be the centerpiece of my toy department.
She was quite the fashionista and I picked up a few lots of clothing. One was described as various light jackets and included six Nieman Marcus leather jackets. Another marked robes had two unopened robes from The Beverley Hills Hotel, and one from both Wynn and
The Hotel. She also had 12 leather overnight bags from Mandalay Bay, that might have been a hi end giveaway, but nothing indicated she was much of a gambler.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I really don’t remember her but I was a big sea hunt fan. As well as of coarse Rin Tin Tin. I still have my hopalong Cassidy watch I got when I was about six or seven. It still runs fine. When my sister got married about 20 years ago in Sonoma we stayed at Jeff bridges house very nice anyone can rent it as far as I know My wife just reminded me they sold the Jeff bridges house sometime ago

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

McManus Auctions in Vegas just auctioned off an incredible assortment of Hop along stuff.
They archive the auctions for a few months if you want to take a trip down memory lane.
It was quite a collection, many of the items were new in the box. Some great graphics on such a variety of stuff. I don't know much about the characters, never saw a show or movie, but 1950s toy graphics rock. One box has an incredible Wells Fargo stagecoach in a running gunfight with miscreants, with horses with now empty saddles in the mix.
My cousin spent about three hours looking at the stuff and said it was an amazing look back.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Wow! The attention to detail back then was incredible and all pre computer. I love the artwork. Ha! I just realized in the above post, I spelled course coarse. That’s what happens when guys try and do two things at once. The gals can do it though.