Jacks or better... keep a low pair or a face card?

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Re: Jacks or better... keep a low pair or a face card?

Post by Eduardo »

I now see what you mean. This is very good to know since I like to hold face cards mostly. I will have to resist that temptation. 

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

The correct answer to this question (and most others in VP) is "it depends on the game and the paytable". Now, it is correct that in most games the pair of 5's is the best, however, it is also true that playing $ 9/6 JOB a suited QJ becomes the best play on progressives over $20100 (it's likely you'll never see one this high).  Also, for DB the progressive value would be just under $15000.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

The correct answer to this question (and most others in VP) is "it depends on the game and the paytable". Now, it is correct that in most games the pair of 5's is the best, however, it is also true that playing $ 9/6 JOB a suited QJ becomes the best play on progressives over $20100 (it's likely you'll never see one this high).  Also, for DB the progressive value would be just under $15000. You know much more than me about these games! I keep reading your posts and some I do not yet get but they are very helpful. Thank you shadowman.

jokergal
Forum Rookie

Post by jokergal »

I agree - hold the pair. I use Bob Dancer's WinPoker software for tutorials and it is great! Have had success using these strategies. No kickers, is my rule of thumb.

guygfil
Forum Newbie

Post by guygfil »

I agree going with the pair of fives. I've been using this stratagy and it works greate when I play jacks or dueses.

bicyclecardplayer
Forum Rookie

Post by bicyclecardplayer »

I'm assuming all the cards are different suits so there is no possibility of a flush here:

If you keep the 2 5s if you get any other pair on the draw you'll get paid (you also have the possibility of getting 2 more 5s), and also a "better" chance for a Full House.

Holding just the Ace or the Queen sure you may get an extra shot on trying to pair it, but really that's the best you're hoping for since any premium hand is a super long shot.

mrstevequevillon
Forum Rookie

Post by mrstevequevillon »

anytime i keep the 5's even over 3 to straight flush,what you want in those games is a quad, no?

The Cracker
Forum Newbie

Post by The Cracker »

It's all in Mathematics which Dancer and others do in their sleep.

Layman' Logic

Pair of 5's

50% closer to 4ofKind
40% closer to Full House
66% closer to 3 of Kind
50% Closer to 2 pair

Q

80% away from 4 of Kind
80% away from Full House
66% away from Trips
75% away from 2 pair
50% from J or B (however there are only 3 cards that will give that to you)

Now your ? coulda been even more difficult had you posed the Suits.
Was Q & A suited? That woulda stirred some debate however, the better play is still the holding the pair.

Good Luck to All
Now, Go get a Royal!

JOY JOY
Forum Newbie

Post by JOY JOY »

I think its math and LUCK I would hold the pair and wait for "lady luck" to come around keeping the pair will most likely keep me at the machine longer without going to the ATM