Webman, why have threads I initiated been deleted?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Webman, why have threads I initiated been deleted?

Post by OTABILL »

Webman, in your post suspending FP you wrote “Unfortunately, I think we may be nearing that point. Hopefully the first option, not you dead at your computer. Repetition is jut not suited for an online forum such as this one. It becomes a nuisance and is disruptive to the discussion of ideas. If people have already weighed in on a subject, stating it over and over again would either require them to become similarly repetitive, or the repeated idea becomes a one-sided discussion through sheer volume. That's not how this is supposed to work, and I've tried my best to be lenient and encourage you to bump old topics if you want to add to them rather than starting them over and over again.”

In response to the seemingly recent increase in personal invectives and dissing occurring in the forum, per your suggestion I thought I would “bump” several old topics/threads I began regarding this recurrent issue that I find distasteful. I searched for these two topics, (Time to consider leaving the forum begun May 04, 2017, and Civility begun May 30, 2012). I found both topics under search including posts made by myself and others at the time but when I tried to call the threads up by clicking on the search result to see if I should add on to one or both, I got the response “The requested topic does not exist” in both cases. This did not happen when I clicked on other old topics. These two topics also do not appear chronologically in the forums where the original posts were made. What gives?

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

There seems to be a problem with those threads, possibly due to the migration to new forum software. I don't recall deleting them, but it's possible. Feel free to start a new topic.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

What is weird is that there is no problem with other threads. Just mine :cry: However, you addressed the reason I was thinking about reviving one of those threads the other day. Thanks. BTW, I appreciate graduating recently to the status of "Video Poker Master." Don't think I am worthy of that designation based on my VP expertise but will accept it as an honorary title bestowed on me as a longtime forum participant. :D

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Should we tell him the titles are based on number of posts?

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

billryan wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:48 pm
Should we tell him the titles are based on number of posts?
LOL. Just being facetious. Actually, I find it hilarious that one gets anointed a Video Poker Master for 1000 posts.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Ditto! But it looks cool if any of your friends go on the site just to check it out.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:58 pm
Ditto! But it looks cool if any of your friends go on the site just to check it out.
Haven't told my wife. She will find it a hoot.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

OTB I would be glad to read and maybe respond to any of the posts you decide to renew. In fact things may have changed in the world of vp since you first wrote them. Things seem to be moving so swiftly now. I was warned about that when I was 17 wanting to hurry up my life by my great grandfather who was 83 at the time. Now I just want to slow things down. He was National Flintlock champion at one time. Born in the 1880’s. Born and raised in the hills of Virginia. When I was 8 or 9 he said one thing I will never forget. Quote.....Never trust the Russians. End quote. Can you believe his best friend was a former slave freed during the Civil war. He had saved several family members from renegade Yankees. After the war, the family deeded him a nice farm. Though much older than my great grandfather, the two hunted, farmed, and fished together. He was so respected by the family that when my mom was born in 1926, at home of course that when the midwife passed my mom to my great grandfather to hold, he just passed her to his friend who was 80 at the time. I know I digress here, but just mentioning old posts got me way off track. Sorry.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

Webman, thank you for restoring the topic I started "Time to consider leaving the forum" including my original posts and the 38 replies. That was one of two posts whose absence I mentioned in this topic in July. The other was "Civility" which continues to up in searches but is deemed to never have existed. The applicable info on "Civility" follows:

by OTABILL
Wed May 30, 2012 10:49 pm
Forum: Anything and Everything
Topic: Civility
Replies: 154
Views: 4955

I would appreciate if you could restore this one as well. I am not sure why these posts, made from my old computer, got corrupted. Hopefully, this problem won't occur again.

Thanks