The Loss of a Legendary Visionary

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
kennybobby

The Loss of a Legendary Visionary

Post by kennybobby »

Although I've found most here do not give the NBA a second thought, this first day of a new year, the NBA and the world lost an incredible leader with the passing of the former league commissioner, David Stearn. This post could go on for pages(and with me, everyone knows thats not a joke) but his passing is worth mentioning/remembering... not only did he take a league whos very longevity was in question and turn it into a global power, he was a hard-nosed disciplinarian who held everyone accountable for their actions-and oooh my, couldn't the world use more of that! He was a true believer in equality and with his efforts, a professional league for women was formed and actually has sustained/thrived with the WNBA. No longer did any girl that wanted to play professionally have to leave everything and everyone to go overseas for the opportunity. In the early days of learning about HIV/AIDS and Magic Johnson announced he had HIV, Mr. Stearn didn't turn his back and shun Magic, he reached out to him--allowed him to play in the league and on the '92 Olympic 'Dream Team' and actually shook his hand and hugged the man when others thought you'd get the disease doing that. Again, nothing to do with sports, but just that helped change a world's perception of a virtually unknown disease. I realize the money involved in professional sports causes many to turn away and not feel any sympathy, ever, when talking about them, but regardless of that, there are still times when someone truly special has put their fingerprints on something and without question, made it tremendously better by the time they were finished! Although no direct impact was felt by me personally, I'd like to remember a humanitarian, visionary, businessman and leader and send my condolences to his wife and children.
Rest in peace Mr. Stearn.... the best commissioner of any professional sports league in history.

Come Back Kid
Video Poker Master

Post by Come Back Kid »

That was a very nice write up KB. I'm sure his family and friends would've really appreciated that.
I enjoyed the read and the knowledge you shared about him. Thank you.
R.I.P Mr. Stearn

Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Post by Galeygoo »

Eloquently eulogized and couldn't have said it better myself, Kid! I couldn't agree more about nothing I know about... ;)