RIP Kirk Douglas - a True Hollywood Legend

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Re: RIP Kirk Douglas - a True Hollywood Legend

Post by OTABILL »

Tedlark wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:05 pm
OTABILL wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:41 pm
RIP Issur Danielovitch Demsky. In this day and age, I am wondering if he would keep his name, change it to Kirk Douglas or even something else. He was one of a kind. not many Hollywood types stay married for 65 years.
Nor would many of today's Hollywood Types stick their neck out the way Kirk did back in the 1950's.
Totally agree. He did the right thing.

Antebellum Reb
Forum Regular

Post by Antebellum Reb »

yes the 2020 academy awards last weekend made me miss old classic hollywood. kirk was the last icon from the days of the studio system, as corrupt and immoral as they were. if anyone wants to read about a perverted tyrant read about louis b mayer and some of his cohorts and competitors. there is a deleted scene from godfather part one where tom hagen is in woltzs home before luca visits the horse stable. tom sees the young teenaged girl being abused and controlled by her greedy mother in woltzs upstairs bedroom. anyone know it? look it up on utube.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Antebellum Reb wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:47 am
yes the 2020 academy awards last weekend made me miss old classic hollywood. kirk was the last icon from the days of the studio system, as corrupt and immoral as they were. if anyone wants to read about a perverted tyrant read about louis b mayer and some of his cohorts and competitors. there is a deleted scene from godfather part one where tom hagen is in woltzs home before luca visits the horse stable. tom sees the young teenaged girl being abused and controlled by her greedy mother in woltzs upstairs bedroom. anyone know it? look it up on utube.
I've seen that scene from The Godfather which you mentioned.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

Antebellum Reb wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:47 am
Not the last icon. Olivia de Havilland is 103 was under contract to Warner Brothers when she was "lent out" so she could appear in Gone With The Wind..

Antebellum Reb
Forum Regular

Post by Antebellum Reb »

yes woltz s character in godfather is based upon several old time hollywood bigshots from the days of the studio system, hollywoods "golden age". the depth of depravity, perversion and corruption in hollywood is both legendary and deeply disturbing when you think of the influence hollywood has on not just usa but the world. todays me too movement and the acts of harvey wienstein are the ripple effects of the old misogynistic casting couch mentality. and it is not only females who are abused, nor young girls, but male actors and youngsters too.

the movie l.a. confidential depicts the whole sick dark underbelly of hollywood very thoroughly in my opinion. it was very ironic that kevin spacey played the cop who investigated the murder of the male wannabe movie star who was taken advantage of and ultimately murdered in his quest for stardom. you do literally sell your soul to make it in hollywood, often but not always. i cant picture tom hanks putting out for some corrupt unprincipled hollywood bigwig as he begins his career...can any of you?

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

No.