Multi Strike Poker

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
delcargal
Forum Newbie

Multi Strike Poker

Post by delcargal »

Could you tell me what would be the better play in playing MSP, Jacks or Better.....Level 3
 To hold a pair or to hold 2 high cards.   Thanks

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Presumably, you mean the 4x level, second from the top.  My answer is for the 9/6 pay schedule.  In that case, it is always better (based on total expected value combined at the 4x and 8x levels) to hold any pair rather than two (or three) unsuited high cards.  You will strike out with no score more often with the pair, but the higher values that occur when you hit will be worth it.
The low pairs are also always better than 2 suited high cards when the highest suited card is a King or an Ace.  The suited QJ is a bit more complicated.  For many it might be better to find an average rule for the suited QJ vs. the low pair rather than worrying about the other card in the hand or the different suits.  I'm guessing that these two holds are pretty close, but I don't know the definitive answer. You probably wouldn't go too wrong by always playing the low pair.

Following are what I believe are the correct plays if you are interested in details involving the other cards in the hand.   Suited QJ is often better than a low pair of 2s thru 8s, but QJ is never better than a pair of 9s or Tens.  If any other card in the hand is suited with the QJ or there is a Ten, King or Ace in the hand, the low pair will also better than the QJ.  The last bit of trivia involves the hand QJ988.  Here, the 8s are slightly better than the suited QJ.

I haven't investigated this for other pay schedules. I should also add that I could be wrong with this advice, but it is still worth at least what you paid for it.

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »