vp training software/strategy cards

Discuss video poker programs for the home user
Bert96825
Forum Newbie

vp training software/strategy cards

Post by Bert96825 »

I am a beginning player with no aspirations to be a professional. I visit LV from 2 to  4 times a year, usually for 4 days a trip. I expect to play  3 or 4 hours a day for quarters.

I believe that since my play is "short term" luck has a lot to do with results. However, I am interested in learning to play well enough to minimize losses and give myself a good chance to maximize wins. 

Bob Dancer's products seem to be very good but quite detailed. I've read about Jean Scott and Dan Paymar who offer similar products. They claim that, for recreational players,  their stuff, while not quite as accurate,  is easier to learn and therefore a player is apt to make fewer mistakes and, in real play will win as much or more.

Since I am not qualified to judge this for myself. I"d like to hear from  experienced players who know about these systems yet do not have a horse in the race.

Thanks!

Bert96825

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

First of all I'd recommend downloading vipoker. It's free and it will give you a good start learning what the software programs can do. From there you will have a better knowledge base and can make your own decision on the next step.
I also recommend "The Video Poker Edge" by Linda Boyd. It has a set of simple strategies in the back of the book that should help you get started. There are lots and lots of other good resources, but for a beginner these two represent the least costly way to get started.

cddenver
Video Poker Master

Post by cddenver »

Bob Dancer's products seem to be very good but quite detailed. I've read about Jean Scott and Dan Paymar who offer similar products. They claim that, for recreational players,  their stuff, while not quite as accurate,  is easier to learn and therefore a player is apt to make fewer mistakes and, in real play will win as much or more.

Any reputable books/software will pay for themselves very quickly.  You mentioned some good ones; shadowman also mentioned Linda Boyd's book.  As far as strategy cards go, I like the ones provided in Linda Boyd's book as being the simplest to follow (or least confusing, IMO).

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

The Video Poker Edge and some other recommended books can also be found in our relatively new "Books" section within the Inside Scoop:

http://www.videopoker.com/insideScoop/products/

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

Webman --- may want to run a security check I think we have a 10/21 breach. I will put the troops on stand by.
Short term of course so we minimize losses and maximize wins with luck.
over and out.

cddenver
Video Poker Master

Post by cddenver »

The Video Poker Edge and some other recommended books can also be found in our relatively new "Books" section within the Inside Scoop:

"Duh" on me for not just directing the player there.  Maybe even a double "duh". 

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

Does my mentor have his books on there? I won't mention him by name for sake of not embarrasing him. He is such a humble.